This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[MOVED] Zorin Os 6.1 Core - issues with taskbar and Compiz!

JonathanP

Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:17:00 am

I installed this and the tool bar on the bottom goes away and a box comes up and says compiz crashed.

Fi.J

Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:35:04 pm

I have basically the same problem. Once installation is completed (Zorin 6.2 Core) and my laptop re-boots, the display seems fine until I move the mouse over an icon or the taskbar at the bottom, then the screen flashes almost continuously. Menus take forever to open but are unusable due to the flashing. I then get the message that an error has occurred and Compiz has crashed. If I try to re-launch Compiz the bottom taskbar drops down partially hidden by the screen. If I mouse over the bar again it disappears. The display starts to 'break up' and is totally unusable.

I downloaded Zorin 6.2 from the main Zorin website and have verified it's checksum. I also used IMGBurn to burn it onto disc.

I'm disappointed as I have heard many good things about Zorin. I need help!

Fi.

Fi.J

Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:55:44 pm

Hello swarfendor437,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I ran the updates after installation. My laptop is a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Pro v3515. I believe it has an Intel Celeron CPU and a VIA chipset combination; P4M900 NorthBridge, VT8237A Southbridge, and 2Gb RAM. The hard drive had Linux PinguyOS on it before I reformatted it, so Zorin was installed on a clean HD. I'm wondering if my laptop is maybe a bit too old for Zorin? Just a thought. Any further assistance would be grateful.

Regards,

Fi

Fi.J

Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:19:27 pm

Hi swarfendor437,

I tried what you suggested without any luck. However, I downloaded Zorin 6.2 lite which works a dream. I wonder why? Obviously something didn't load which is part of v6.2 Core. Thanks so much for your invaluable assistance. You're a star! :)

Fi