This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[MOVED] Installed 6.1 over 5.2 - problems

Buks

Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:25:44 am

:oops: good day
i downloaded 6.1 and install.... biiiiggg trouble with my display. i have an i5 intel processor 8 mb ram asus p8h61 series mother board and a radeon 6570 2gb display card. when i first install 5.2 i had the exact same problem, the screen is covered in red dots and it keeps giving all sorts of errors, then it hangs. i have downloaded the linux display drivers from the amd site, but i cant install it. i have installed zorin on a smaller notebook which is working perfect, i would like to get rid of win 7 but i cant, at this stage it dual boots with win 7. can someone please help...!!!! :x

madvinegar

Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:34:08 pm

First of all, did you try installing the proprietary drivers via "additional drivers"?

Plug an ethernet cable to get internet (or connect via wifi) open terminal and write
jockey-gtk

In the window that will open (additional drivers), choose and enable the option that says something like
"ATI proprietary drivers .........."

Do not choose the option that says about "updates".

After the installation is made, reboot and see if your display works better.additional drivers

Buks

Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:33:43 pm

i installed 6.1 on top of 5.2, i dont know if i should have uninstalled 5.2 first. i did not install proprietary drivers via "additional drivers". from the moment i boot the pc with the installation disk, it gives me the red dots on the screen. i'm kinda new to this so i'm learning as i go along. the terminal that you refer to where is that?
thank you for you assistance

madvinegar wrote:First of all, did you try installing the proprietary drivers via "additional drivers"?

Plug an ethernet cable to get internet (or connect via wifi) open terminal and write
jockey-gtk

In the window that will open (additional drivers), choose and enable the option that says something like
"ATI proprietary drivers .........."

Do not choose the option that says about "updates".

After the installation is made, reboot and see if your display works better.

madvinegar

Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:54:08 pm

To open terminal press ctrl+Alt+T.

Have you actually installed Zorin6 or you boot using the live DVD?

Buks wrote:i installed 6.1 on top of 5.2, i dont know if i should have uninstalled 5.2 first. i did not install proprietary drivers via "additional drivers". from the moment i boot the pc with the installation disk, it gives me the red dots on the screen.

Buks

Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:39:53 pm

what i meant, since i've started the installation it gave me red dots. its fully installed on the hdd.

madvinegar wrote:To open terminal press ctrl+Alt+T.

Have you actually installed Zorin6 or you boot using the live DVD?

Buks wrote:i installed 6.1 on top of 5.2, i dont know if i should have uninstalled 5.2 first. i did not install proprietary drivers via "additional drivers". from the moment i boot the pc with the installation disk, it gives me the red dots on the screen.

Buks

Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:54:09 pm

hi,
sorry i'm only getting back to you now, here is n pic of the screen, hope you can see the problem i have

Buks

Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:15:42 pm

hi,
i'm using a radeon, 6570 2gb graphics card, i'm using the same machine to run win 7 64bit and now i dual boot with zorin, the graphics card was working fine with win xp. if you look at my first post you will see the specs of my pc, i also downloaded a driver from ati's website but i cant install it, the file is just too big to upload here.
regards

Buks

Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:13:14 pm

hi,
no i did not uninstall or remove 5.2, as far as i know it is set to 8gb. i am by no means an expert or a professional in linux or zorin, but i think that my display card is not compatible with zorin. there are drivers available for linux but i cant install them, zorin does not recognize it. like i said i'm currently running 5.2 on a notebook and its working 100%. i also have a feeling that it might be incompatible with my processor. this is just my observation, but i hope im wrong. ill go and try your advice and hopefully it will solve the problem.
regards

Buks

Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:07:00 am

i've reinstalled zorin, from the moment i put the dvd in the drive and boot with it, it gives me the red dots, the very first screen that comes up has red dots all over it. 5.2 did exactly the same thing. i'm a little frustrated because i really love the O'S....