This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[MOVED] Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter and Zorin

asoola

Fri May 18, 2012 5:08:53 pm

Hi there,

I have an acer 4752-6641 laptop with the broadcom 802.11n network adapter (version 5.100.235.19). I installed zorin os on my laptop, however, I can't get wireless internet to work. Does you know where to get the equivalent driver for linux? Or how to get wireless to work on zorin os if I have this driver? What linux distributions would work easily with this wireless adapter?

Your help will be appreciated!

Asoola

madvinegar

Fri May 18, 2012 6:02:40 pm

Please post the outcome of the following terminal commands so as to find your card and the problem:

Code:
lspci -nn

Code:
sudo lshw -c network

Code:
sudo rfkill list all

We will sort it out, don't worry. Broadcom is an easy card to configure.

foutchj

Sun May 27, 2012 1:00:57 am

I just completed install on my daughters HP mini netbook with a dead hard drive. It has Broadcom wireless card and it would NOT work. I WAS successful, and I am very happy.
Maybe I can give newbie dad trying to save some money tips ;)
1. I loaded the OS on a thumb drive and used it to INSTALL on the SD memory card
2. I could not get the internal Broadcom card to work running live
3 I took a chance and installed on the memory card anyway and restarted
4 When I restarted, the OS asked for permission to update. When complete it found my Broadcom card. It asked for permission to download the driver then I rebooted.
5 Perfect.

Wolfman

Sun May 27, 2012 6:54:43 am

asoola wrote:Hi there,

I have an acer 4752-6641 laptop with the broadcom 802.11n network adapter (version 5.100.235.19). I installed zorin os on my laptop, however, I can't get wireless internet to work. Does you know where to get the equivalent driver for linux? Or how to get wireless to work on zorin os if I have this driver? What linux distributions would work easily with this wireless adapter?

Your help will be appreciated!

Asoola

Hi Asoola and welcome,

did you update your system fully??:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1617

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1694

Regards Wolfman :D

madvinegar

Sun May 27, 2012 10:50:03 am

foutchj wrote:I just completed install on my daughters HP mini netbook with a dead hard drive. It has Broadcom wireless card and it would NOT work. I WAS successful, and I am very happy.
Maybe I can give newbie dad trying to save some money tips ;)
1. I loaded the OS on a thumb drive and used it to INSTALL on the SD memory card
2. I could not get the internal Broadcom card to work running live
3 I took a chance and installed on the memory card anyway and restarted
4 When I restarted, the OS asked for permission to update. When complete it found my Broadcom card. It asked for permission to download the driver then I rebooted.
5 Perfect.

You must have a BCM4312 broadcom driver that just needs to be enabled from additional drivers. This was done after the update, and this is why you got your wireless working! :mrgreen: