This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin Starts Muted

dozy van

Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:33:12 pm

Im sorry and am a litte annoyed that I need to seek help for this but my Zorin OS starts muted and I can't figure out how to sort it out.

I am running Zorin on the media center PC and have XBMC installed. My problem is that Zorin Keeps wanting to start muted and when I mess with the volume in XBMC it won't unmute. As it is I have my media center set to boot into XBMC, I then have to logg out and logg back into zorin unmute the volume and then logg back into XBMC. Not too complicated but I have this all set up running zorin trying to keep everything simple.

dozy van

Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:24:21 pm

There is nothing broken I just want to know how to access the startup scrips and edit what volume the vomume starts on.

madvinegar

Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:13:27 pm

Try this.
Open "startup applications" from the menu.
Click on "add" to create a new startup application.
In the new window choose a name (i.e. "volume control") and in the command field write

amixer set PCM 50%

Save, exit reboot and see if it works.
As you can understand this will set your volume at 50% during startup. If you want it louder or quieter, set it to your preferred percentage.

You can try out this command before adding it to the startup applocations to see if it works by running it in terminal.
So open terminal and write
amixer set PCM 50%
and see if actually your volume has moved to 50%.