This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Download woes

karleman

Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:44:22 am

I am having a hard time downloading the iso image of Zorin OS 6.2 64-bit. I reside in Thailand and tried all 4 download mirrors. Each and every download took more than 5 hours; The downloads appeared to be okay but the md5 checksums never tallied. I used 3 different operating systems (WinXP, LMDE, Netrunner) to download Zorin but no effect to the download time and checksum tally - what a waste of time! And yes, I am using Firefox.

As I have absolutely no problems whatsoever downloading other distro iso images it seems to me that the slow download time is manipulated on purpose. So, I finally gave up!

I still have Zorin OS 6.1 on a DVD. If I install this version would I be able to update/upgrade to version 6.2? The FAQ seem to suggest otherwise but thought to ask anyway.

karleman

Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:10:59 am

swarfendor437 wrote:Hi karleman, sorry to hear of your problems! I guess there could be quite a frenzy of people downloading the lastest release which in turn affects the bandwidth for others wanting to download.

Yes, you could be right, though the 6.2 version (64-bit) was released 2013-02-27.

swarfendor437 wrote:Whatever you do, don't download from ibiblio.org.

I'll keep this in mind for future reference, thanks.

swarfendor437 wrote:As you live in Thailand I would advise the AARNET.edu site as this is closest to you - as datek1 has advised elsewhere, try to download in the early hours of the morning if possible.

AARNET.edu was my first choice but admittedly didn't pay attention to the time - another point I'll keep in mind.

swarfendor437 wrote:Also, sometimes the Zorin brothers have forgotten to change md5 checksums but if they are on the main page these should be correct.

The only MD5sum for the Zorin OS 64-bit version I found is: 342e299ade21143d1dd623aebd40437e as shown on http://zorin-os.com/free.html
I couldn't find a MD5sum on http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownload ... 47533.html

swarfendor437 wrote:Could you post us your checksums? I will check against mine when I have got the download (I can't remember if I downloaded the 32-bit core and not 64-bit or otherway round as to first download so please be patient with me - I am not where my Zorin images are!)

Because of the checksum conflict I didn't bother keeping the first two iso images and deleted them, the others are:
8c151d2082e86d0ed906ed431df26e0f - as per K3b
and
2e5d551dce72579516b45cd9f044b59c - as per K3b

Please note.
I followed your advise and downloaded the iso image again this time in the early morning (Australia time) - the MD5sum finally agrees with the one on http://zorin-os.com/free.html (this time it took only about 3 hours)

So, all's okay now and I'm set to burn the iso image to a DVD.

Could you please comment on my question asked previously:
"I still have Zorin OS 6.1 on a DVD. If I install this version would I be able to update/upgrade to version 6.2?
The FAQ seem to suggest otherwise but thought to ask anyway."
TIA.

Anonymous

Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:20:24 am

Note : > In order to take full advantage of the features and stability of Zorin Menu, You are advised to do a clean install of Zorin OS 6.2 Ultimate/Core. If you do not wish to take advantage of Zorin Menu, simply install the latest updates from the Update Manager in order to get the update to Zorin OS 6.2 Ultimate/Core.

karleman

Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:23:58 am

Okay, using Kb3 I burned Zorin OS 6.2 (64-bit) to a DVD with the lowest speed possible.
The boot time of the live CD is about 5 minutes+ which, compared to other (live CD) distros, seems unusual long.
Could the reason be I used and overwrote a DVD+RW which contained the previous version of Zorin OS 6.1 (64-bit)?
Should I use a new DVD and burn again?

When finally on the Zorin screen (the one with the clockwise and anti-clockwise turning wheels), I wanted to an integrity test but when hitting the Tab key I was straight directed to the desktop.
Is there a way to do an integrety test?

The native resolution of my (LCD TV) monitor is 1366x768 and need to download the appropriate nVidia driver.
Which is the preferred (most efficient) download mode, via Additional Drivers or via Terminal Konsole?

And finally, do I have to add architecture i386?
TIA

Anonymous

Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:33:41 am

By all means use a clean DVD for your installation.

For Nvidia Drivers : Open Terminal

: sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates

: sudo apt-get update

: sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

: Then restart your PC.

Note: You shouldn't have to do anything else after installing the Nvidia Driver.

karleman

Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:56:46 am

datek1 wrote:By all means use a clean DVD for your installation.

Yes, the 'clean' DVD made a big difference! The boot-time is significantly shorter.

datek1 wrote:For Nvidia Drivers : Open Terminal

Note: You shouldn't have to do anything else after installing the Nvidia Driver.

Thanks again!

karleman

Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:35:29 pm

I forgot to ask this, should the nouveau driver be disabled or removed prior installing the nVIDIA driver?

karleman

Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:20:40 pm

No, I was going to follow instructions as provided by datek1 viz:
For Nvidia Drivers : Open Terminal