This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Cannot restore to factory

ezyr2run

Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:37:45 am

I used zorin 6 and was running it just fine. My brilliant uncle decided to delete the created partition instead of uninstalling it... I had yet to install the program that made windows 7 primary boot system. Now, my PC boots up to say
Error: no such partition
grub recovery:

I've tried to do the alt-f10 at boot screen to do a system factory restore from the hidden recovery partition and it just leaves the screen black with a solid cursor on the top left. The system didn't come with a recovery disk and I can't find my flash drive that I had my backup on. Am I totally screwed or is there another way to restore or somehow replace grub file to get the machine dual booted again?

I have an Acer aspire 5733z with windows 7, Intel p6100 with Intel HD graphics card and 4gigs of ram.

Using a tablet to post, not sure if I can do anything off this because it won't recognize as USB boot device

efwis

Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:09:34 am

hi ezyr2run, welcome to the forums.
Sorry for your run of bad luck on this, what I would recommend is boot the zorin 6 dvd, then use gparted to rebuild the partition. after you have rebuilt the partition try your alt-f10 to see if your recovery system will take. i'm presuming that since he deleted the partition that this is why your recovery partition can't work, it isn't finding a compatible partition to install W7 on.

hope this helps

ezyr2run

Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:43:03 am

I don't have a spring 6 DVD, I installed from .ISO on a flash drive that I can no longer find. The only other PC I have doesn't have a CD burner. IM not entirely sure how to rebuild the partition.. He deleted the partition that the Zorin was installed on, and reconvened it with the main partition that windows was on... The recovery partition is still there, but I can't get the recovery to work. I don't have another flash drive to put the OS back on..

Anonymous

Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:00:13 am

If your trying to restore Windows 7 with the ( Hidden Recovery Partition ).

Just in Case > Look Here : viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4183

The hard drive has to be in the same state it was before you installed Zorin OS.
How to do this > Boot Windows 7 >> delete all related to Zorin OS and repartition the drive to it's original state leaving the recovery partition intact.
Example Only :
System Reserved : > 150 Mb.
Primary Partition : > 320 Gb.
Recovery Part... : > 32Gb.

Note: Your Hard Drive has to be exactly in the Same State it was before the Zorin OS installation or the > Factory Restore < will not work.

After all that is accomplished reboot Windows 7 once again. But this time when you see the ( Repair Windows 7 Option ) >> Enter << and do your ( Recovery ) from there.
The Windows 7 installation DVD/ISO is to be used for Recovery.