This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Extended Desktop

bpiet

Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:56:50 am

I finaly wanted to try out a linux distribution. So I installed Zorin Free. I must say it looks great, but when I connect my Dell D620 to another monitor (Dell 23") it only display 1024x768 correct. When I try to set a higher resolution Zorin gets very slow and the background picture turns black... I tried diffirent situations. A single Full HD 1920x1080 resolution only works when I disable the laptop monitor.

Anonymous

Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:11:11 pm

Here's the exact instructions I'm referring to that may help you out !!!
Link to Thread : > viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4208

madvinegar wrote:Ok. I will prepare an easy guide.
Open terminal and write one by one the following commands and then press <enter> after each one. To open terminal press ctrl+Alt+T. When asked for your password type it normally even if you don't see it being typed (this is a security feature) and press <enter>.

Code: Select all
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-intel

Then, again in terminal write

Code: Select all
sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

An empty file will open. Copy/paste inside this file the following lines:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "intel"
Option "AccelMethod" "sna"
EndSection

Save, exit and reboot to see if the above helped.

bpiet

Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:10:58 am

Unfortunally it did not work out. I just installed the Ultimate version, but also the same problem.

Anonymous

Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:18:24 am

Read the Announcement : viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4306
It's sad that so many people are wanting to convert/experiment to/with GNU/Linux and Zorin OS and can't do so > with all these barriers !!!
If your Computer can handle Virtual Box via > Sourceforge You can try installing Zorin OS as a Virtual Machine.

bpiet

Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:08:32 am

Great, all they do is blaming others... I have found the problem as to what everyone seems to be running into. I will let you know right off the bat that Zorin Group is in no way at fault.

If I had known this before I would definitly stick to Windows 7 on this machine. Not that I love Windows, but I really thought Zorin was finaly a good alternative. Pointing fingers to other people/developers will definitly not get Linux to a higher level.

Anonymous

Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:18:03 am

I can ask any of my customers that have never physically used GNU/Linux, and the majority have some knowledge as to what the limitations are related to GNU/Linux.
Microsoft/Windows/Software > Hardware > = Compatibility.

Quote :. If I had known this before, I would have ____________________________ !!! < This is a good one !!!! :lol:

I have great admiration for people wanting to learn the GNU/Linux > Free Open Source Software !!!
They come to learn the advantages and disadvantages of GNU/Linux in relation to today's technology.
The advantages is that GNU/LInux is Free > Free > Free.
The disadvantages in which is very few !!!

You expect to much for > Free Open Source <

How can one complain about the word > ( Free ) :roll: :roll:

The problem has nothing to do with Dell > nor GNU/Linux > nor Microsoft !!! It's your great expectations and lack of understanding on your part, as what things are designed to do.
Example : Your trying to make this model Dell perform the impossible as to what this Dell is designed to do !!! :roll: :lol: :lol: :roll:

Both of these models are capable of dual display, but there is a big difference in video quality and $$$$ !!!

What your trying to accomplish, would be like trying to (skydive) with an > Umbrella < !!! :roll: