This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Multiple Screen Issues...Zorin/Linux Newb...

jbudness

Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:20:59 am

Hey guys sorry if this topic has been brought up and i didnt dig deep enough or over looked it... Im rather new to this whole thing(Just installed tonight), although that doesnt mean that Im completely stupid either haha :)

Im currently running the 6.2 Core(thinking about getting ultimate if i can get a couple things smoothed out)....

im running a gigabyte 7850oc... What am i doing wrong/missing to get my multiple displays to work properly.. I have installed the ATI driver, and both my monitors run 1920-1080 in mirror mode, but when trying to run them un mirror i have to back resolution down to the lowest setting which makes everything HUGE!!! There has to be a way to fix this.. PLEASE help!!

Thanks in advance, IM LOVING Zorin so far...

jbudness

Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:07:10 pm

jbudness

Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:25:01 pm

jbudness wrote:
swarfendor437 wrote:Hi jbudness, and welcome to the Zorin forum! Have you checked:

Menu | System Tools | System Settings | Display - Detect Monitors?

Hello, thanks for the speedy reply. Yes I had tried those options and would get nothing. Something I noticed this morning was when I would go into the screen to "activate" ATI driver, instead of choosing the first(generic) or the second(beta) drivers I had chosen the third(post) option, it says driver active but not in use!! Why would this be and how do I change it??
*edit*
It did detect my monitors saying that they were (brand) 23", but I still couldn't change resolution when in extended desktop mode.
I googled somethings and tried to update ati drivers to the latest via coding, and messed everything up in the process haha. But now that I know it runs stable on my pc(minus this one video hiccup) I will be uninstalling and getting the ultimate edition as soon as I get back to the house.

jbudness

Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:23:09 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:When you get a message that the driver is active (it has been installed) but not in use (because it is not compatible!). Instead of installing the proprietary drivers right off, try the experimental drivers first without installing ATi specific drivers - mine has on-board ATi (AMD) 3000 chipset and the bog-standard driver has compiz running out of the box (not like some other distros I would care not to mention!) :D

I'm getting ready to reinstall right now so I will try the beta-expeeimental. Is there any other ideas invade this doesn't work?

jbudness

Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:03:16 am

So when i try the beta driver and go-to display, unchecked the mirror displays option, and have resolution on 1920x1080 then hit apply i get this error...

The selected configuration for displays could not be applied

required virtual size does not fit available size: requested=(3840, 1080), minimum=(320, 200), maximum=(1920, 1920)
*****Hit Close*****

Failed to apply configuration: %s

GDBus.Error:org.gtk.GDBus.UnmappedGError.Quark._gnome_2drr_2derror_2dquark.Code3: required virtual size does not fit available size: requested=(3840, 1080), minimum=(320, 200), maximum=(1920, 1920)
*****Hit Close*****

It then just goes back to the Displays screen, with nothing else...

jbudness

Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:29:33 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:OK, just found this - let us know if it works for you:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... st12328923

Awesome I have a feeling this will work for me, as all the comments on that site have said it worked, but I cant seem to get there...

I can get to /etc/X11/ but i cant find the xorg.conf file to edit.. Am i just a moron? What am i doing wrong here, sorry just a newb i guess...

I do see a file called xwrapper.config?? There is nothing xorg.conf

I even made sure to goto Edit>Pref>Show hidden and backup files... Still nothing :(

jbudness

Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:18:49 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:Hi once more! Please take a peek at this very useful thread on x-org.conf:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto

Thanks for that I will look into it tonight when I get home.