This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Music player broken

sugarat

Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:42:06 pm

Hi all,

I have Zorin installed finally after a long haul, and have my first real problem with the desktop.

I imported all my music into the music player, but when I click on a song to play it, I hear the first second or so, then it crackles a tiny bit, and disappears. The slider is still moving, indicating that the music is still playing, but I hear nothing. All other system sounds remain working, but there is no music!

What's up with it?

Thanks

sugarat

Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:04:26 pm

Checked them for what, - what am I looking for...?

sugarat

Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:13:21 pm

Oh yes that's all fine. The sound works on everything else, such as system sounds, or VLC, YouTube etc.. It's just the music player that seems broken

sugarat

Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:09:54 pm

Yes from looking at the process listings, it appears to be rhythmbox. The default one that comes up when I click the speaker on the launcher bar.

sugarat

Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:32:02 pm

That's ok. I went to bed after my last postings anyway. I need my sleep!

I have installed those packages but there is no change. The audio plays for a second, crackles and then goes silent :-(

sugarat

Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:42:23 pm

My MP3's live on a Windows server elsewhere on the network. Perhaps that is somehow causing the issue. Although VLC can play them just fine if I click on them in the file manager..?

I will reinstall rhythmbox.

sugarat

Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:44:05 pm

Ah. I just copied one locally and after import, rhythmbox plays that one just fine. It is files on an SMB share it won't play properly.

sugarat

Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:59:54 pm

Alas no! All my media files are on the server, so the music player is no good to me if it can't play them. I don't think its permissions, firewall or samba. If it were permissions or firewall it wouldn't be able to play the file at all. As it is, it begins to play the file but then encounters some trouble.

Hmm. I need my music!

sugarat

Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:13:00 pm

Found it: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/977866

I will try importing from a manually mounted network share. Bit pants though.

sugarat

Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:06:04 pm

Music is playing fine when the remote Windows machine is manually mounted via cifs entry in /etc/fstab. A workable workaround..
Thanks for your help!

Wolfman

Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:19:27 am

Hi,

did you install the "Medibuntu Repo" and then the codecs packs?, you must install the repo then add the packages for better music/sound playback.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

Then update and install the package: non-free-codecs

and/also the w32 package which will show in the list if you search using the Synaptic package manager, also make sure that "faac and flac" are marked for installation if not already installed!!.

Regards Wolfman :

sugarat

Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:29:01 pm

I don't see how installing codecs is going to address a fundamental issue with the Gnome VFS network layer (and/or FUSE).. and I don't have any flac encoded files, so why would I need flac installed?

It's all working now anyhow so no worries. A simple CIFS mount saved the day.

Thanks for your thoughts