This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Graphics glitches on desktop

sugarat

Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:06:35 pm

Hi All,

When I switch to another desktop and just after the desktop cube rotates, I get a graphics glitch whereby the Windows that were on the screen of the previous desktop briefly flash up on the new desktop for a second.

How can this be fixed? It completely ruins the nice effect of the desktop rotation which is otherwise smooth and nicely accelerated...

sugarat

Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:11:49 pm

I just found something else out too - I think this is a bug that has just been introduced with the last update, because I have had Zorin on my laptop for a while, and it has been fine. I am now using my laptop this evening and it's even happening on this old Thinkpad too.. so it seems to be quite a widespread issue, as I see it on my XPS One 27, you have it on your ATi, and I also have it on this old Thinkpad R50e.

It's damned annoying when updates break things which used to work.

sugarat

Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:36:19 pm

So even though I am running, Zorin, does this mean that I am dependent on updates coming from other sources? In which case, what sources are updating my ZorinOS installations?

If we are seeing this issue on 3 different platforms already, it must surely be affecting a lot of people. Whoever did this needs sorting out! I've just got my ZorinOS installed and nicely configured and all of a sudden the graphics are broke..

sugarat

Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:29:29 pm

I think a downgrade is definitely an option here. My graphics are definitely not as smooth now as they were after installation..

How does one accomplish such a downgrade..? :-)

ak1ovic

Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:34:20 am

sugarat wrote:So even though I am running, Zorin, does this mean that I am dependent on updates coming from other sources? In which case, what sources are updating my ZorinOS installations?

If we are seeing this issue on 3 different platforms already, it must surely be affecting a lot of people. Whoever did this needs sorting out! I've just got my ZorinOS installed and nicely configured and all of a sudden the graphics are broke..

sugarat

Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:00:06 am

True.. although from a security perspective, keeping up to date with the latest code is always a good idea.. So I guess you could say, from that context, it is broke..

Wolfman

Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:09:37 am

Hi,

if you have an Nvidia card, please look here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2490

Have you done the updates per this guide?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Let us know if it helps.

You can blacklist a software package in Synaptic to stop it updating, see also this guide:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticHowto

Regards Wolfman :)

sugarat

Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:37:06 pm

Hi Wolfman,

I don't think is the issue. We're not seeing a white screen when more than one Window is open. It's more that the previous Window that was on the screen flashes up for a second when you switch to another desktop. This is seen on systems with a number of different graphics cards. The system is fully up to date.

Many thanks

EDIT: Out of interest, if you are not seeing this issue, - what graphics card are you using? If you open a Window, and then Ctrl->Alt->Right Cursor to another desktop, do you not see the window flash up for a split second?

Wolfman

Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:58:27 am

Hi,

I have an Nvidia GT430 card, have you tried my update guide?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

(You need a working network cable for this to work!)

Regards Wolfman :)