This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Trinity APU and Zorin core 6.2

zozrin

Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:48:15 pm

Hi,

I am very new to Linux. I have decided to make the switch to Linux, specifically Zorin, because Windows XP will die in about a years time :'(. I am very fond of the features and security it offers, but I have a problem at the moment.

I have just recently built a new computer that has a A$ Trinity APU in it. For those of you who are unfamiliar with this hardware, it's just a cpu and a gpu in 1 module. I am having a video output error; every time I move the cursor over the menu, or any other animated icon, the screen flashes and displays the desktop in 4 slices. When this happens I move the cursor some more, and the screen continues to flash, going from the 4 slices to what it should look like.

My question is then; has anyone else experienced this issue? And is there a viable solution for it? I think it has to do with the video driver. But I can't change it since the display is all messed up!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

zozrin

Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:21:16 pm

"Support for AMD Trinity is built into Linux kernels 3.4 and above; Ubuntu 12.04 doesn't have it. You might want to try Ubuntu 12.10 Alpha 2. It includes the 3.5.0-2.2 Ubuntu kernel, which is based on the 3.5-rc4 upstream Linux kernel. (Alpha 3 will be released on Aug. 2; Beta 1 on Sept. 6)."

Seems like its not totally supported yet. Anyone know when Zorin will use 3.4 kernel?