This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] More display issues, emachine e525 ultimate 6.2!!

jbudness

Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:01:49 pm

Hey guys I recently posted a multiple display issue post, which is another computer I'm having display issues with. I have since thought I might be easier to just get the ultimate 6.2 and put it on my laptop and leave my other computer as windows7 since all I do is use it for gaming(no web browsing unless I absolutely have to). Which leads me to where I am now haha. I got ultimate, burnt to cd and put in my laptop which is an emachine e525. The first loader came up and I chose to install directly and the screen just went black and stayed black. So I decided I would run os as live and install that way. Same thing. Come to find out the display was there just impossible to see, I hooked up an external display and I was able to get installed and all updates/drivers installed and everything is working great, except I have to leave it plugged into the external display or the screen(my laptop screen) is just black. I have been doing research on how to fix this, and found this website:

http://www.linlap.com/acer_emachines_e525

On this site if you scroll down there is a notes section that talks abou the issue I'm having here and gives a fix for it. A little bit lower in the comments there is an even more I depth exlination of how to not only fix it but make the fix last forever I believe(how I'm reading it anyways). I'm just wondering if someone would mind reading over this for me and makin sure that I'm not going to mess something up by doin what he suggests since I'm a huge newb when it comes to the coding part in Linux.

Thank you so much in advance, and sorry this post was so long. Here is the "how to" the guy had listed:

*****Hey. I had the same problem on my E525, but I solved it with a couple of acpi codes in grub. Here's the how-to:

(at least) If you have multiple OS's, there should be a point in the boot where you can choose what OS to run (grub). Place the marker over the Ubuntu-loader and press E. Now you are able to run this boot with custom programming. Where it says 'quiet splash', (instead of or after) enter 'acpi_backlight=vendor acpi_osi=Linux'. Then press F10. (the 'quiet splash' code tells the computer not to print the booting-procedure, witch is quite unnecessary to remove, but it will make you look more like a computer pro)

If the screen is still black, try Fn+←.

Now to make it last:

Open a terminal (default Ctrl+Alt+F2).
enter 'sudo nano /etc/default/grub' (your password will be required).
'GRUB_TIMEOUT=' changes how long it will take until grub chooses the marked OS for you. write seconds by numbers.
in 'GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=' write 'acpi_backlight=vendor' (again, instead of or after 'quiet splash')
in 'GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=' write 'acpi_osi=Linux'

<!! Don't change anything else! You might be unable to boot if grub is messed up!>
exit (Ctrl+x), and save (y and then enter)

you are now back in terminal.
type 'sudo update-grub' (your password might be required)

Now Ubuntu will boot with backlight control. Still working on fixing absolute control (to set levels of brightness, and use commands of choice to set it)

Screen still black? Try Fn+← *****

jbudness

Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:23:10 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:Hi jbudness, all I can say for Zorin is the terminal command is Ctrl+ Alt+ T (not F2). As for the instructions I cannot comment unless there is another experienced user on here with the same machine as yourself! So whatever you do, DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK! :D

Well guess all I can do then is try it and if it doesn't work, and I screw something up its a learning lesson and I start over. Just thought maybe someone with more experience in the coding part of Linux in general could tell me if this was something I shouldn't do or If it's worth a shot. Thanks anyways, I will post my results.

jbudness

Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:48:53 am

Ok well this process worked like a charm for me although I didn't do it how it is described in his how to. Also I'm not 100% that this will only work for my lapto, I'm guessin that this could work for any laptop that has this specific issue.

I completely skipped the first part since I wasn't really sure what it even did and he said it wasn't necessary.

This is my version oh the "how to":

1. Goto system files/ect/default/grub copy this whole text file. You will not be able to edit the information here as it is read only.
2. Open terminal via application menu or crtl+alt+t
3. Type sudo gedit /ect/default/grub ****hit enter****
4. You will probably have to enter password after step three.
5. A blank document will open. This is where you paste the text document that your copied earlier. And edit these lines and these lines only.

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_backlight=vendor"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi_osi=Linux"

6. Goto file, save as, and save it as the grub document in /ect/default/
7. Terminal should still be open, type sudo update-grub ***hit enter****
8. Reboot computer and you should now be able to use your laptops default brightness controls. For me they were backwards, bright was dim and dim was to brighten. But at least they work!!!!

I hope this helps everyone!!

jbudness

Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:07:55 am

Hey guys I actually just got an official email from zorin about how to fix this issue and this was their response.

Dear Sir,
Please Open the terminal and type in:
gksudo gedit /etc/rc.local
Then press enter.

Then find: exit 0
Above exit 0, put in:
setpci -s 00:02.0 F4.B=00
Save the file, and exit Gedit. If you get a popup message the "untitled document" isn't saved, ignore it and close without saving.
This fix will automatically make the backlight turn on upon boot.
Now to ensure you can adjust your backlight once Zorin OS has booted:
In terminal, enter the command:
gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub
In the file, find the line:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
Change that line to:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi_osi=Linux"
Save the file. Exit gedit. If prompted to save untitled document, don't, choose close without saving.
Now in terminal, type the command:
sudo update-grub
Wait for the process to finish then exit terminal. Reboot your PC.
The problem should now be resolved.

Best regards,
The Zorin OS Team

You can now make this solved :) I hope this helps anyone else that may have this issue.