This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(Resolved) No sound after resume from sleep

iamk2

Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:53:54 am

I have installed 9 distro's of linux in the last week. The first one was Linux Mint 14 - the next to the last one was Zorin's newest OS. I found only 4 issues with my

Gateway MX6440. - 2GB -ati radeon 200 express- sb 400 - synaptic touchpad - Broadcom 4318 wireless -If you need more just ask.

1. My first issue was no WiFi card found - this was a hit or miss among the diff distro's. This was not to difficult to solve with a little searching on the net. If the distro did not load the needed software I could!!! Same exact way to load for each distro that did not include the needed software.

2. Second issue was the touchpad - the mouse would not work after resuming from suspend - the arrow was there but no movement or button operations would work. This happened in every distro. I found a solution from an article back in 2006. Insert "atkbd.reset" into the default cmdline of the grub file then reconfigured the grub.cfg file. This worked for every distro!!!

3. The touchpad has a small area to the right for scrolling - with edge scrolling selected the area for scrolling penetrated well into the rest of the pad. This happened in every distro. I found the solution for this on my own actually - Insert Option "RightEdge" "6000" into a synaptic conf file. The original setting was 5200 - I think. This worked for every distro.!!!

4. Here is where I am losing - sound also does not work after suspend - works perfectly until I put it to sleep to ram. The volume icon is there and I think every module is also - I could be wrong and def willing to start from the top.
This only happens on about half the distro's. One thing I noticed though is that on the first distro where sound did work after suspend was that after editing the grub file for the mouse - when I went to use the update-grub command it said "no update-grub file or command found - or something like that. Anyway I found how to reconfig the grub config file using - grub-mkconfig. So - every grub that used update-grub no sound - every grub using mkconfig yes sound!!! Sabayan and Fuduntu are two where sound still works.

I have tried many things - many slightly above my understanding. tried mkconfig instead of update-grub on a distro that accepted update-grub but no success. Just put on a fresh zorin because all my software needs work with this distro - although I noticed that with xbmc the mouse seems over accelerated. Still, overall a good flavor of linux.

Need a log just ask - Need a screen shot - Have an idea - would premium tech support end up with this issue fixed???

Solution - Updated kernel to 3.7 Sound works after resolve.

Wolfman

Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:18:19 pm

Hi,

please see the sound section of this guide:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

Let us know if it still happens although when resuming from suspend has caused many a headache on Ubuntu based systems in the past, have you checked the bug's list??.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu

Regards Wolfman

iamk2

Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:22:25 pm

have not found anything on the internet anywhere - ubuntus website excetera. added in the Codec that was recommended from the above post. have done all upgrades. problem still exist. did learn some new things will edit my original post. Thanks

Just checked kernels for the diff distro' - hope i got this correct

No sound distros
linux mint 14 - ubuntu 12.04 and zorin using kernel 3.2.XX

Yes sound distros
Sabayon 11 uses kernel 3.7
Fuduntu uses 3.6.9

does this imply a kernel issue??

I saw some sites showing that you can upgrade the kernel in ubuntu to 3.7 - If this could be a fix -can I upgrade the kernel in zorin??

Wolfman

Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:09:46 am

Hi,

try this:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

It may be a simple case of you not having the repo's correctly updated and/or set as per my guide.

Let us know if this helps!.

Regards Wolfman :)