This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Can't Connect to Wifi

mgaines

Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:38:28 pm

I installed Zorin about a month ago and everything worked fine. My home wifi network went down a couple of days ago and now I can't connect to it even though it is back up. The day before the wifi went out, there was an update for Zorin (I don't know if that has anything to do with it though). Also, I am able to connect to the wifi hotspot on my phone and the wifi hotspot on my friend's phone. Is there an easy way to fix this? Thanks!

mgaines

Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:28:54 pm

It is a desktop... I know it is not a problem with my wireless network card though because I can connect perfectly fine on my other linux distros and Windows 8.

madvinegar

Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:16:58 am

If everything was working fine with zorin, and you are still able to connect to your phone's hotspot and your friend's wifi, it means that your wireless card is still working fine with Zorin.
Probably there is a problem with your router. Have you tried restarting it and/or setting it to the factory settings and try again?

mgaines

Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:36:23 pm

madvinegar wrote:If everything was working fine with zorin, and you are still able to connect to your phone's hotspot and your friend's wifi, it means that your wireless card is still working fine with Zorin.
Probably there is a problem with your router. Have you tried restarting it and/or setting it to the factory settings and try again?

I have been having problems with the router, but that cant be that big problem because, I can connect perfectly fine to it on Windows

Anonymous

Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:03:06 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:Hi mgaines, madvinegar was trying to offer a suggestion as that is the same procedure most people use when having issues with Windows 7 - switch off the router for 30 seconds, then switch it back on again to see if Zorin can pick it up. Alternatively, try my suggestion. What I have found with a few distros that have an issue with connecting, when you delete a connection, it picks up the same named connection but puts 'auto ...' in front of it.

Have you tried my suggestion yet? You also state you have been having problems with your router (in Windows too now?) So please give us some more information - we are not mind readers! :D

Added to to what Madvinegar/Swarfendor has said. 99.% of the time > That is if you have a Broadband Modem separate along with a Router. Both the Broadband Modem and Router need to be shutdown completely. After 30 seconds > boot/power on the modem and let it cycle through until all the lights settle down. This usually takes a couple of minutes. Now you can reboot the router and let it cycle through.
These are the same exact instructions your internet provider will tell you to do.

To get things working right with my Broadband/Wireless Connection when it fails on me, I have to do exactly what I mentioned you to do above !!!