This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 6.2. HP C309a How Do You Install The Software?

gregoryshock125

Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:05:26 pm

I have a HP Photosmart Premium 309a Printer. This printer is designed to print on both sides of a page. But through Linux it can't. At least without an update to my Zorin-os-6.1-core-64. It is based on the Ubuntu. I have narrowed my search down to this. It looks like I will need to perform the install through the terminal. Can anyone explain to me how this works? http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web...9a_series.html

A Linux friend on Ubuntu forums showed me the instructions link:
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web...all/index.html

I started with what that Manual says and I got this message.

g@g-DG965OT:~/Desktop$ sh hplip-3.13.3.run
Creating directory hplip-3.13.3
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing HPLIP 3.13.3 Self Extracting Archive........................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .....................................

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.13.3)
HPLIP Installer ver. 5.1

Copyright (c) 2001-13 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

Installer log saved in: hplip-install_Sat-23-Mar-2013_14:39:14.log

warning: zorin distro is not found in AUTH_TYPES
\
note: Defaults for each question are maked with a '*'. Press <enter> to accept the default.
error: Auto installation is not supported for 'unknown' distro so all dependencies may not be installed.
Please install manually as mentioned in 'http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/install/manual/index.html' web-site

Press 'y' to continue auto installation. Press 'n' to quit auto instalation(y=yes, n=no*):

gregoryshock125

Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:21:22 pm

Next: I tried going to http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web...ual/index.html I looks confusing to me but here is what I tried. It appears to have failed.

* My System is Ubuntu 12.04 so I tried the line that said it was for "Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid) and above"

Press 'y' to continue auto installation. Press 'n' to quit auto instalation(y=yes, n=no*): n
Installation exit
g@g-DG965OT:~/Desktop$ sudo apt-get install --assume-yes libcups2 cups libcups2-dev cups-bsd cups-client libcupsimage2-dev libdbus-1-dev build-essential ghostscript openssl libjpeg62-dev libsnmp-dev libtool libusb-1.0-0-dev wget python-imaging policykit-1 policykit-1-gnome python-qt4 python-qt4-dbus python-dbus python-gobject python-dev python-notify python python-reportlab libsane libsane-dev sane-utils xsan
[sudo] password for g:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package xsan
g@g-DG965OT:~/Desktop$ tar xvfz hplip-3.13.3.tar.gz
tar (child): hplip-3.13.3.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
g@g-DG965OT:~/Desktop$

I'm not sure what to do now?

gregoryshock125

Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:02:36 pm

Thank you for showing me that. I tried it and all I get is this menu. But I still can't duplex print.

Wolfman

Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:53:08 am

Hi,

try here:

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/support.html

I have an HP printer and it works just fine although I have never tried to print both sides!!.

It is important to install "hplip-gui" as Swarf has said and use the "HPLIP Toolbox " function to set up your printer. Don't get the Fax tool and the toolbox mixed up!!.

Regards Wolfman :)
HP Device Manager - HP Deskjet f4500 Series_001.png