This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Deja Dup location and use

jojothehobo

Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:31:02 pm

Hi All:
I want to back up my key files because of a recent post-update crash (by the way, I chose to replace a Samba file rather than keep an older version during the update- advice, don't do it). It crashed my system but the good people at the help desk gave me some magical command line statements that made it all better. Now I want to use deja dup to back up my system, I found an entry to start the backup but it wasn't a program launch.
1. I would like to put Deja Dup in my start menu (gno menu), probably under system tools, although the desk top would work too.
Any suggestions on how to do this?

2. To do a full system restore do I need a separate boot disk to resrote from my backup, or, if my system doesn't boot up can I restore from the original installation disk and the backup media ( and attached USB or hard drive). If I use the original boot disk how can I mount the backup archive drive? Do I need root permission and how can I get it from/for the original boot disk.

Thanks for all the help. I appreciate the Zorin community and all the help I've gotten so far.

Jojo

jojothehobo

Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:51:57 pm

Thanks Swarfendor437, the reference was just what I was looking for. I found Deja Dup where you said it was and I was able to open it. I read the help file and found that it is possible to backup more than one folder, but that still leaves the question about restoration of non-data folders(like program folders). Clonezilla looks like just the ticket.

all the best
Joel