This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Boot problem! Help! :)

Dar1us

Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:43:00 pm

I have a problem. I can't boot my computer and I'm not a computer scientist.

I don't have a live CD or Zorin on a USB stick. The following error I get is...

BusyBox v1.18.5 (Ubuntu 1:1.18.5-1ububtu4.1) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help'. For a list of built-in commands.

(initramfs)

Anonymous

Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:56:00 pm

Look this thread over real good. : > viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4306

Not being mean, but the same little mistakes are being made over and over.
And I answered 99 % of the questions already.

Dar1us

Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:33:59 pm

Previously I was using Windows 8, I found the experience comfortable. I installed Zorin OS because I was curious and heard that Linux is generally stable and virus free, afterwards found out that it wiped my Windows 8 system completely and I thought: "Oh well, the user experience is nearly identecal to Windows, that okay"

Sooner or later, when I booted my netbook and then I got this error. I'm an average pc user and I don't know how to solve this problem by myself.

In worst cases, I'll either buy a new netbook or bring it into a repair store, if I can't get any help.

P.S. This is my first post and I'm new to Linux.

Anonymous

Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:06:49 pm

When installing Zorin OS.....did install along side Windows 8 or replace windows 8 with Zorin OS.
No matter what choice you made and you what Zorin OS on the Netbook.
Firstly you can only have one of the two (Win8) or (Zorin OS) on the Netbook for things to work right. >That decision is left to you.
Before we go any further,...you need to wipe the drive free of the other mess.
Then do a fresh install of Zorin OS....and update if possible.
If your still running into problems after the fresh install at least we know it's not Windows 8 related.

Help us help you !!!! (Post the needed info !)
Your Netbook > Make/Model
Ram > 1 or 2 GB
Type of Internal Graphics :
Intel
Nvidia
ect.

Dar1us

Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:30:25 pm

Apparently I wiped out Windows 8 when installing Zorin OS, so it is Zorin OS related issue.

What commands / configurations should I use on Busybox? I don't have an external DVD drive, so I can't install Linux or Windows on my netbook.

In other words, my netbook is useless for now.

Anonymous

Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:44:23 am

Dar1us wrote:Apparently I wiped out Windows 8 when installing Zorin OS, so it is Zorin OS related issue.

What commands / configurations should I use on Busybox? I don't have an external DVD drive, so I can't install Linux or Windows on my netbook.

In other words, my netbook is useless for now.

You can do a new install on your Netbook via USB. There is more than ample info how to use ( USB ) to install Zorin OS plastered all over the (Installation) and (Help & Support) section.
Links in Ref. : http://www.pendrivelinux.com/ or http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ > ( Application Downloads ) > Tutorial !!!!

Your Netbook is only useless as you make it out to be !!!!

I'll give you a good positive hint,.... having Windows 8 as the original default Operating System....is a bonus for you.... your Netbook should run Zorin OS Core without any problem.

Make sure the ( Boot Option ) is enabled in bios setup, in oder to use the (USB Flash Drive) for installion purposes.

I could tell you what F-( ) > key to use in order to boot the USB, but you still haven't bothered to post the Specs. on your Netbook. > help us help you !!!!

Dar1us

Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:24:42 pm

My netbook is Acer Aspire Time 3820TG and the following specs are:

- Intel Core i3-330M processor (2.13GHz, 3MB L3 cache)
- ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 Up to 2138 MB HyperMemory
- 13.3'' HD LED LCD
- 4 GB DDR3 Memory
- 500 GB HDD
- Acer Nplify 820.2.11b/g/n
- 6-cell Li-ion battery

The original Operating System for my netbook was Windows 7, updated to Windows 8. But now lost Windows completely when installed Zorin OS Core :(
I'd like to istall Windows as my primary OS and still use Linux, dual boot. Installed into the hard drive if possible.

Anonymous

Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:40:38 pm

Here's the official Links for Windows 7 ISO : viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4183

You have to use the Product Key that came with the Netbook.

Install windows 7 using the replacement ISO... and install all the default drivers and applications that can be found on. > http://support.acer.com :D
Fully update to SP1 and we'll go from there. :D

Anonymous

Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:49:36 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:Thanks for the speedy input datek1 - 60 blue jewels for an excellent response! :D

That's one thing I do like about ACER, that is ACER gives one the option of finding 95 % of the needed replacement drivers and applications on their support site.
Except for some of the things, like subscriptions to Antivirus... Microsoft Office ect.

Wolfman

Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:18:59 am

Hi,

you should have a recovery partition on your Acer, if you look at the screen during boot, it tells you to press various keys for various functions, it might be F7 or F11 or F2, when you see the screen with these options, keep your finger over the pause button and as soon as you see the options, press it (Pause button) and read what each key combo does, once you have decided which key it is, press it and the PC should boot into that particular mode!!.

This will only still be there if you didn't select the option to wipe the entire drive!!!.

Regards Wolfman :)