This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

function keys not working in zorin 6

anees.test

Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:14:04 am

Hi,

I tried Zorin 6.2 core 64 bit in my Toshiba satellite l755 laptop (6 GB RAM, 2.3 GHz, core i5, nvidia) to check whether it is compatible perfectly. But there are some issues.

No function keys are working. So I can't do things like reducing display brightness and other functions which I could do in windows7. Laptop is also heating too much when using in live mode.( I assume it is because of display brightness which is now at highest level, and can't be reduced.). I tried to reduce it from system settings, but in vain.

I need to make sure that installing Zorin won't create any issues to my laptop, that's why I'm trying it in live mode. Please suggest solutions as I am in urgent need of a linux operating system for my laptop.

Regards,
Anees

Wolfman

Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:43:34 am

Hi and welcome to the forum,

I really can only suggest that you either install Zorin OS fully or that you try a different brand of Linux!!, Zorin 6.2 is the latest version with all the updates at the time it was created; and your hardware may possibly be intergrated once fully installed!!.

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you, you can try looking here and see if you can find an answer, it states about checking your BIOS settings:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/148365/f ... llite-l755

Regards Wolfman :)

anees.test

Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:02:38 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi and welcome to the forum,

I really can only suggest that you either install Zorin OS fully or that you try a different brand of Linux!!, Zorin 6.2 is the latest version with all the updates at the time it was created; and your hardware may possibly be intergrated once fully installed!!.

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you, you can try looking here and see if you can find an answer, it states about checking your BIOS settings:

Thank you for your reply. Let me try full installation.

Regards,
Anees

anees.test

Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:11:31 pm

HI swarfendor437,

Thank you for responses.

Let me wander for solutions. :D . If it gets resolved, I'll let you know.

Regards,
Anees

anees.test

Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:14:01 am

Wolfman wrote:Hi and welcome to the forum,

Hi I have done full installation as per your guide.."Zorin 6 Help Guide - from where to download it to post-install and other tweaks"..Everything is fine except the function keys and the display brightness.

Display brightness is always at the maximum level. Is there any other method to reduce brightness. Please suggest any solutions. Is there any way to get toshiba drivers so that the function keys may work (I assume)??

Regards,
Anees

madvinegar

Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:14:52 am

Try this. I do not guarrantee that it will work but you can try.
Open terminal and write
Code:
sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

In the file that will open locate and change the line
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

and do it like:
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_backlight=vendor"

Save exit and then in terminal again do
Code:
sudo update-grub

Restart and see if that helped.

If not, follow again the above procedure, but this time change the line like below:
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_osi=Linux"

Again don't forget to save, update grub (sudo update-grub) and then restart.

Some users said that it also helped if they also changed two lines in the grub file by adding the 1st parameter, and more specifically the lines
Code:

and
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi_backlight=vendor"

Try all above and see if one of them helped.

anees.test

Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:40:55 am

Hi,

Thank you everyone for your valuable suggestions. The brightness issue is solved now.

Solution : Add the following to : Section "Device" of /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Option "RegistryDwords" "EnableBrightnessControl=1"

And reboot the system. It's working fine now. Got it from here (http://askubuntu.com/questions/154948/u ... 416#162416)

Still the function keys are not working. Need to integrate brightness control to function keys. I'm searching for that. If you have any ideas, please do share.

Regards,
Anees

anees.test

Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:45:03 am

madvinegar wrote:Try this. I do not guarrantee that it will work but you can try.
Open terminal and write
Code:
sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

In the file that will open locate and change the line
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

and do it like:
Code:

Save exit and then in terminal again do
Code:
sudo update-grub

Restart and see if that helped.

If not, follow again the above procedure, but this time change the line like below:
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_osi=Linux"

Some users said that it also helped if they also changed two lines in the grub file by adding the 1st parameter, and more specifically the lines
Code:

and
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi_backlight=vendor"

Try all above and see if one of them helped.

Thanks for your suggestion. This is not working. Anyway I got the solution of editing xorg.conf

Regards,Anees