This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

compatibility of Zorin OS with Acer AO725

Joker_UA

Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:13:13 pm

Hello,
Would you be so kind to inform me about compatibility of Zorin OS (based on Ubuntu) with Acer Aspire One 725 netbook?
As a novice in Linux-based system (I've got to use Windows during 15 years) I found difficulties in fixing bugs with power management, touchpad, sound card and some other minor mistakes in Mint 14 MATE.
I would like to avoid facing such kind of difficulties and ready to switch to your OS.

Anonymous

Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:51:49 pm

This should answer your question !! :D
ACER NETBOOK D257 > Zorin OS Ultimate 32-bit

Joker_UA

Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:06:24 pm

Thanks! But I'm not sure that it answers my question.
Acer AO D257 is not the same as Acer AO 725 (for instance, in 725 touchpad is from ELANTECH)
I can attach screenshot of my MINT desktop, but is does not mean that I found ways to fix my issues...

Anonymous

Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:18:08 pm

Joker_UA wrote:Thanks! But I'm not sure that it answers my question.
Acer AO D257 is not the same as Acer AO 725 (for instance, in 725 touchpad is from ELANTECH)
I can attach screenshot of my MINT desktop, but is does not mean that I found ways to fix my issues...

Which version of Zorin OS to use in place of Windows !!

Windows XP or Windows 7 Starter = Zorin OS Lite
Windows 7 or Windows 8 = Zorin OS Ultimate/Core

The AO725 is nothing but a Notebook crammed into Netbook in size without a optical drive !!
Yes it will work, but you have to remember....that you will be working with GNU/Linux now......and some of the little extra things that worked with Windows...might not work with Zorin OS !!!
Nothing that anyone ever misses when they replace Zorin OS with Windows !!

Joker_UA

Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:32:35 pm

I'm ready to donate and get Zorin Ultimate
But I want to be sure that OS will work without any difficulties, which I've faced with MINT
Thus, my question is still open

BTW, do you have support in Russian?

Anonymous

Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:42:55 pm

Joker_UA wrote:I'm ready to donate and get Zorin Ultimate
But I want to be sure that OS will work without any difficulties, which I've faced with MINT

I just told you it will work !!!!

If it has language support in Russian... I'm not for sure ?

Anonymous

Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:48:53 pm

datek1 wrote:
Joker_UA wrote:I'm ready to donate and get Zorin Ultimate

I just told you it will work !!!!

If it has language support in Russian... I'm not for sure ?

Swarfendor that Netbook will run Zorin OS Ultimate/Core/Lite.

The AO725 Is a Notebook without an optical drive.

Mint = Mistake.....That's why no one ever stays with linux Mint on a long term basis !!! :lol: :lol:

Joker_UA

Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:51:57 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:The best way to try is to run the 'live' DVD or from USB if you don't have access to an external DVD/CD Drive.

For starters I would try Zorin Lite (available on the current issue of Linux Format - issue LXF170) as you are wanting to put on a Netbook.

As for touchpad, try Ctrl+ Fn+ F7.

By power management do you mean brightness and over heating?

I think there was a recent post by madvinegar for someone else about screen brightness.

Thanks for your idea to try live-mode, I'll do it

touchpad works (after Fn+F7), but without scrolling and multi-touch

fully updated MINT see no batteries and do not hibernate system when battery level is critical

Anyway, I'll try live-mode

Joker_UA

Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:57:03 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:I have read elsewhere (on a different forum searching similar solution) that Fn+ F7 does not work - you need Ctrl+ in front of that! :D

I can only comment that Fn+F7 works with MY netbook and MINT 14 MATE :D

Joker_UA

Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:54:36 pm

I've installed Zorin OS (Core) - it looks nice!

Most problems from MINT gone.

I need to test Zorin to make final conclusion, but I already see that suspending doesn't work properly with proprietary video drivers.

By the way, how to remove mail envelop, which is close to time indicator in the bottom right corner?

Updated: I'm not sure, but files from Netherlands (NLUUG) host seems to be broken.
As soon as I've downloaded files from Ireland (HEAnet) host USB Live started working...

Joker_UA

Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:11:42 am

My short report on using Zorin OS 6.2 core 64-bit at Acer Aspire One 725:

1. Suspending doesn't work properly with proprietary video drivers - screen doesn't wake up after suspend mode.
Solution: using of standard X drivers.
Disadvantages: playing HD video (720p, file size ~6Gb) brings some delays (solution not found)

2. Upgrade to latest versions of Kernel led to to negative results (description is here http://www.zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4265#p21060)

In general, I would say that Zorin is the most user-friendly linux distro to migrate from MS Windows.

My personal score for it is 4+ out of 5 ;)