This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

kernel 3.2.0-30-generic

xblade724

Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:55:05 am

Hi,

How can I get kernel 3.2.0-30-generic working with Zorin OS6.2 (latest)?

I have an ASUS Zenbook Prime UX31A, and told that this kernel helps with the FN keys and some other issues, such as adjusting brightness.

I just tried manually installing it and now the screen is all flickery; i probably did something wrong. I'm not that great.

Thanks!

Wolfman

Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:06:09 am

Hi xblade,

do you have a 32 or 64 Bit system and did you install the correct PPA for your system??, if you have a 32 Bit system, have you tried using the PAE kernel??. (I am not sure if there is a PAE kernel for Ubuntu 12.04!!)

Boot your PC into the section where it states "Previous Linux versions" and select the first older kernel and see if it is okay, once booted and everything is okay, restart again and run "dpkg" from the recovery menu, be sure to activate the "Network" using a network cable, don't try it with a Wlan connection!!.

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Regards Wolfman :)

xblade724

Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:59:08 am

swarfendor437 wrote:I am pretty certain - will post back later as on netbook! - that there was an upgrade recently to that kernel in Zorin - do as Wolfman has said and once back in a working system open a Terminal and enter:

Code:
suod apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

64-bit. I'll try these ~

xblade724

Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:48:49 pm

ahhh it all makes sense now .. thanks bud. Is there an ETA on 12.10? I'm a big fan using it on my test rig at work. Looking forward :) I'll also check out that pearl distro; never heard of it!