This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 6.2 Ultimate 64 - No WiFi/Will Not Even Scan

justinmcg67

Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:34:35 am

Hello all! I am having issues with my new Zorin 6.2 Ultimate 64 install. My problem is that my wifi will not connect to my router. The machine I am using is a Toshiba Satellite C855D-S5103. What happens is that when click the Internet icon, it lists no connections. It will not even scan for wireless signals. It just does nothing.

// EDIT:
I thought it might be helpful to know that I am using the physical DVD of the OS to install.
\\

So far I have tried using an Ethernet connection to run the Addtional Drivers utility. This only shows one proprietary driver for the 3D function of the GPU, which is irrelevant to my issue. Also tried using Windows Wireless Drivers using a download of a driver file for windows from toshiba. This however, never worked. I tried Google for answers but most everything was for very outdated hardware and versions of the OS, so it was obviously unable to solve my issue. One result said to open terminal and try to run iwconfig which did not display any useful information.

I am really at a loss on what to do. As I totally wiped Windows 8 off of my new laptop. I was doing this from the start, so if this OS doesn't work Ill just have to end up using my Windows XP Professional I still own. Which isn't bad at all, but I would prefer to run Zorin. So needless to say, any information and help to get my wifi up and running would really be great. In fact, I will make a video of what is happening in hopes of explaining it more. Thank you all, I greatly appreciate it.

Wolfman

Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:44:20 am

Hi Justin,

take a look here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2274

Read the whole thing through, Madvinegar is our expert on Wlan!!.

Does it need to be set in BIOS when booting??. Is the device switched on when you boot??.

Regards Wolfman :)

madvinegar

Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:19:16 pm

Please post the result of the following commands to check what wireless card you have and what driver/firmware you need.

lspci -nn
lsusb
sudo lshw -c network
sudo rfkill list all

justinmcg67

Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:15:14 pm

The way I got rid of Windows 8 was for my Toshiba, a frustrating but simple process. First, to enter BIOS I had to hold F12 down, then power on the laptop, while in BIOS I changed from UEFI to CSM. There is another option about boots, ill have to re-enter BIOS later today to recall its exact name but it is obvious and in the same menu as the UEFI>CSM. I'll post pictures and whatnot if need be.

I will also run the recommended commands in terminal as mentioned. Thank you all very much for the replies and help, I appreciate it.

madvinegar

Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:25:08 pm

Even if I suppose is clear, just to clarify that I need the outcome of the commands, which please post here. Don't just run them and expect a result.