This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED]Difficulty mounting an external network device

phelgan

Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:56:54 pm

Apologies in advance if I am being daft. I am taking my first tentative steps into Linux and need help understanding the mounting process.

I have recently installed Zorin OS 6 on some spare space on a Win XP machine (in preparation for making my impending new machine Windows-free....). I have a Seagate GoFlex Home network drive available through the router.

By using the file browser I can access this (through Go > Network). I have been trying however to mount this through the command line (with a view eventually to adding it to the fstab file so it will automatically mount on booting up). Currently I have the following command:
Code:
mount_afp 'afp://<username>:<password>@192.168.x.xx/ogaras/GoFlex Home Public/Music/' /media/music

This will mount "ogaras" and ignores the following sub-directories. If I change the "/ogaras/GoFlex Home Public/Music/" to "GoFlex Home Backup", it works, so I do not believe the spaces are at fault.
Also the following has the same result:
Code:
mount_afp 'afp://<username>:<password>@192.168.x.xx/ogaras/testing/' /media/music

So the questions are:
Is it possible to mount more than one level down?
If so, does anyone have any idea where I am going wrong?

Thanks,

Phil

madvinegar

Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:58:32 am

When there are spaces in a file name of a folder you have three choices.

1- Start typing the folder's name and press tab. It will auto complete the name.
2- Use the \ (backword slash) after each word. For example the file GoFlex Home Public should be typed as: GoFlex\ Home\ Public
3- Use " or ' to write the whole files name. For example "GoFlex Home Public" or 'GoFlex Home Public'.

So the command should be typed like this:
mount_afp 'afp://<username>:<password>@192.168.x.xx/ogaras/GoFlex\ Home\ Public/Music/' /media/music

I cannot understand what the /'/ is before /media/music?

Wolfman

Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:41:22 am

Hi,
have you checked out Dconf editor??:

Stop/Start Media Auto Mounting:
Dconf Editor > Org > Gnome > Desktop > Media-Handling > Automount/Automount-open/Autorun Never

Regards Wolfman :)
Configuration Editor_001.jpg

phelgan

Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:14:29 pm

madvinegar wrote:When there are spaces in a file name of a folder you have three choices.

1- Start typing the folder's name and press tab. It will auto complete the name.
2- Use the \ (backword slash) after each word. For example the file GoFlex Home Public should be typed as: GoFlex\ Home\ Public
3- Use " or ' to write the whole files name. For example "GoFlex Home Public" or 'GoFlex Home Public'.

So the command should be typed like this:
mount_afp 'afp://<username>:<password>@192.168.x.xx/ogaras/GoFlex\ Home\ Public/Music/' /media/music

I cannot understand what the /'/ is before /media/music?

Madvinegar - thanks for your reply, I maybe wasn't clear enough, in that I had tried (2) and (3) already, only mounting /ogaras/.

I'm afraid I did not understand (1). I am working in Terminal, which does not appear to do anything with the <tab> key.

Also, the ' was part of the quote encasing the path.

Cheers,

Phil

phelgan

Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:17:53 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,
have you checked out Dconf editor??:

Stop/Start Media Auto Mounting:
Dconf Editor > Org > Gnome > Desktop > Media-Handling > Automount/Automount-open/Autorun Never

Configuration Editor_001.jpg

Hi and Thanks Wolfman - once I worked out which package to install ! (went with dconf initially, not dconf-tools).

I have "automount" and "automount - open" set to true. I see no sign of it being automatically mounted, in so far as it does not appear in Nautilus until I do the Go > Network or select Browse Network.

A bit stumped...

Phil

phelgan

Wed May 01, 2013 8:33:04 pm

Just to I could not do this the way I was trying, but managed it via a desktop shortcut using the command:
nautilus "afp://ogaras@GoFlexHome.local/ogaras/GoFlex Home Public"

Not sure what it wouldn't mount beyond the ogaras througth the Terminal but never mind.

P

Wolfman

Fri May 03, 2013 6:09:33 am

Hi,

take a look at this guide:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2406

Add all startup apps to the list with the given command and then look for "Mount Helper" in the list and make sure it has a tick in it!!.

This in just in case your drives have something to do with the problem!!.

Startup Applications Preferences_001.jpeg

phelgan

Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:20:55 pm

Hi All,

I know I marked this as solved, but just wanted to report that I have now managed to mount it "proper-like" with the following:
Code:
sudo mount -t cifs '//192.168.1.65/GoFlex Home Public' /media/nas -o username=xxxxxxx:password=xxxxxxx, iocharset=UTF8

Could swear I'd tried it before, but there we go! Interestingly, mount_afp was not required, though the files system is indeed afp.

Hopefully someone else struggling with a GoFlex may learn from it...

Cheers,