This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Jolicloud recommendations?

jojothehobo

Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:15:31 pm

Hi All:
I just saw a page on using Jolicloud on Ubuntu 12.04, and hence Zorin 6. The article says that you can install it as a desktop without changing the base desktop on Ubuntu (Unity, which is one reason I switched to Zorin, and am glad I did). So my question is whether I can install Jolicloud to see if I get some benefit by using it without screwing up anything in Zorin, since I like the what I have now and it isn't worth doing anything that can break it.

Does anyone have experience with Jolicloud, know how it will play with Zorin or have recommendations one way or another?

Thanks
Jojo

jojothehobo

Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:18:13 pm

I forgot the link. Here it is. It is for the desktop and not the OS, at least that is my impression.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/04/joli ... -ubuntu-de

Jojo

madvinegar

Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:46:32 am

You can add the joli cloud repository, and consequently the joli cloud DE by running these commands in terminal:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:jolicloud-team/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install jolicloud-desktop-environment

After the above operation is completed you can log-out and from the login menu to choose the joli cloud desktop environment.
I have not tried it with Zorin but in theory it should work without any problem since it is a completely different DE and when it's loaded, it does not affect the other DEs.
You can try and let us know.

Wolfman

Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:54:46 am

Hi,

from what I am reading; it is just another alternative Desktop which you select at the Login Screen, it may or may not have an adverse effect on Zorin OS, only installing it and trying it out will tell. It does state that there are a few drawbacks so beware!!.

Did you take a look at their Homepage?:

http://www.jolicloud.com/

I would never ever use such a service as I don't trust external security from such storage companies, I back-up all my data on external USB drives, if you do use it, don't put things like bank details and personal documents on there, basically anything that can be used to trick you out of money or anything that can be used to order stuff online in your name!!.

My advice to everyone is to carry a small USB stick everywhere you go with your sensitive data stored on it should you need to do so!!.

Regards Wolfman :)

jojothehobo

Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:35:23 pm

Thanks Wolfman and madvinegar. I was thinking of giving Jolicloud DE a try, but after reviewing your posts I decided not to. It simply isn't worth the price of potential disruptions to my system. Wolfman's security concerns are particularly on-point here. I hadn't checked their homepage. Nowadays security is a real issue. Thanks for the advice about carrying the small USB stick with personal information.

all the best

Jojo