This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

6.2 install woes

flyboy129

Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:39:48 am

Have done an install of 6.2. I burned to a dvd at slowest speed. Install took after doing the "tab" key trick at the live boot (typed in the change before the splash). This was the only way it took. Noticed the screen was jittery during install. Install worked. Rebooted. Still the xxxxxx flickering screen. Did the post install updates from terminal like Wolfman posted. Restarted. Since then, when I try to log in as the main user, the computer shuts down (the monitor claims no input from pc, but the pc is still running). Tried 3 different times, no change. If I log in as the user, I can access the desktop environment, but the flickering remains. Cannot access the desktop under my name without the computer going into it's shut down state (though it is technically still running). What am I missing? Thanks

[edited by moderator - youngun's visit here too!]

Wolfman

Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:34:56 am

Hi,

sorry to hear you are having problems, you can try running "dpkg" per this guide:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Make sure you activate network before running dpkg with a network cable attached.

If you have an Nvidia card, start your PC in recovery mode and activate network as described above and then drop to "root shell" and type in these commands:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

Then restart your PC with Ctrl + Alt + Del. Do not click on resume!!.

Let us know if this helps.

For Nvidia cards, please see this guide too:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2490

Regards Wolfman :)

flyboy129

Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:26:18 pm

I had already run dpkg, but I tried again using ctrl+alt+del. Still no change. I don't believe I have an nvidia card. Is there a way to check? My monitor plugs directly into the mobo. Thanks

Wolfman

Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:49:16 pm

Hi,

the command for a hardware check from a terminal is:

lspci -v

But before you do that, start your PC in recovery mode and select the option: start in low graphics mode and see how far you get. Once successfully booted, open Synaptic and change your sources download location (described in the link I post earlier about updating) and then refresh your list and click on check for updates and apply, restart when finished.

You can also look in the system settings menu under details and it will list your major components for the PC.

Regards Wolfman :)