This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

CYLINDER NOT WORKING IN COMPIZ EFFECTS

NOOB2ZORIN

Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:53:51 pm

I recently downloaded Zorin OS and I have been playing around with the compiz effects in the CompizConfig Settings Manager. Under "Effects" in the "Cube Reflection And Deformation" folder in the "Deformation" tab there are 3 settings for the desktop cube, "None", "Cylinder", and "Sphere"(in that order). When None is selected the desktop cube looks like a cube, Cylinder makes it a cylinder, and sphere makes it a sphere. I have been successful getting "None" and "Sphere" to work just fine but when I click "Cylinder", the option quickly changes back to "None"within a second or so. I am unable to get the cylinder option to work for some reason. I was wondering if anyone has a solution to this problem. Perhaps there is another setting that has to be tweaked before hand or something. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Wolfman

Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:01:53 am

Hi,

did you install your graphics card drivers via the "additonal hardware tool" in "System settings" ??.

For Nvidia drivers see this guide:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2490

For ATI latest drivers:

http://www.noobslab.com/2013/04/install ... rs-in.html

Only use the above links if you want the latest drivers, there is still no gaurantee that they will work for your particualr card!!.

Regards Wolfman :)

madvinegar

Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:06:11 am

Did you
(a) enable cube reflection and deformation in CompizConfig Settings Manager?
(b) select Cylinder for deformation?
(c) enable "unfold cube deformation"?
(d) up the aspect ratio to about half (or whatever)?
(e) enable "deform caps"?
(f) enable all the options in 'appearance'?

Note: Also see if the option "enable deformation only on mouse rotate" is checked or unchecked, depending on what you want.

Wolfman

Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:16:50 am

See also:

http://wiki.compiz.org/

NOOB2ZORIN

Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:45:48 pm

Hi Wolfman, I did not install any drivers for my graphics card being that everything else in the compizconfig settings manager works good. I was even able to get the cube and the sphere to work. The only thing I can't get working is the "Cylinder" option under "cube reflection and deformation"....Deformation tab. The sites you provided are for Nvidia and ATI drivers. I beleive I have an Intel graphics card. Under the lspci command it shows "VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)" for my graphics card. I did some research and I was unable to find any driver that would support that card but I may not be looking in the right places. But like I said, if all the other compiz effects work besides the cylinder, do you think I still need a driver installed? The wiki.compiz.org was a great and informative site but I didn't find anything that would solve the problem. Yes Madvinegar I did have all those settings in the right place. I tried moving the aspect ratio up and down but it didn't seem to make a difference. The problem is everytime I select cylinder in quickly changes back to the "none" option.

Wolfman

Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:41:16 am

Hi,

if you are happy with what you have then don't worry about the drivers, I have an ATI graphics card PC too but the drivers don't work, regardless of from where I get them!!.

I haven't tried out any Compiz effects on it though but I don't need all that jazz on my PC!!. :)

NOOB2ZORIN

Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:27:51 pm

Hi Sawrfendor437! Thanks for the help and those pages you provided were quit useful. I went to the second page in search of the correct driver and I installed the Intel Linux Graphics Installer for ubuntu 12.04 64-bit assuming it would work being that the Zorin OS is based on Ubuntu 12.04 but when I went to run the installer the message "Distribution not supported" popped up and it won't let me use it. Do you have any advice on how to get past that? ...or do you know what other drivers on that page I might be able to use? Thanks for your help.

@Wolfman...I am happy with Zorin OS but I'm not quite happy with things not functioning properly in compiz.

NOOB2ZORIN

Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:40:25 pm

How would I go about finding out the driver was packaged? It was on the Intel downloads page you provided listed as "Installer for Ubuntu 12.04 - 64 bits" under the Intel Linux graphics installer. I searched and searched and I was unable to locate "X Crack for intel drivers" in the apps section of ubuntu tweaks.

Wolfman

Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:28:46 am

Hi,

take a look at this guide and run the part about "DPKG". Let us know if this helps improve things!!.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

You can also add the Intel driver PPA:

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+a ... cs-updates