This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Conversion Problem

pp4mnklinux

Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:07:13 am

Hello everybody and thanks in advance:

I found a 'big' problem for me work:

Till now, when I recorded a video using my video-camera recorder there was no problem with converting formats. I recorded it using .mp4 format, and I convert it using windows soft 'ultimate video converter' and videos smaller than 5 minutes can be converted into a video small than 25mb (gmail limit) and could be sent without problem.

With linux I found a problem to this situacion:

I use 'Transmaggedon Video Transformer' as conversion software, but the reduccion in size doesn satisface my demands.

The reduction is really smaller that I need ( a 48mb mp4 vid is converted in a 28mb vid using xvid format) because I cant use gmail to send my videos smaller than 5mns.

I know i can use a hoster to upload the vids and send only the link, but the receptors of this videos had problems with downloads (their connection is limited by administrators)

Please, tell me the best conversion software.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

(Can any of U tell me the process to install software from web pages ?? I did it till now with the Software Center, but I need to Install a program that is not in this center. How can I do it? )

Wolfman

Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:05:00 am

Hi,

I don't really know anything about file conversion but in answer to your Q about how to install packages.

Firstly install "gdebi" which is a single package installer.

Any files you download (for an Ubuntu or Debian system) should havethe ending ".deb" or "all.deb", make sure that the packages are right for your PC as there are 32 and 64 Bit packages, the ones ending "all.deb" work with both!!.

Once downloaded, you can install the package with "gdebi" by right clicking and then open with gdebi.

A few suggestions for encoding and "Handbrake" is among them:

http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/video- ... buntu-124/

Regards Wolfman :)

pp4mnklinux

Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:48:14 am

thank you Wolfman...

pp4mnklinux

Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:01:50 am

Problem Solved. THANKS for your help.