This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

no dual boot

fozz

Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:58:38 pm

hello i just installed the free version of 64 bit zorin on my windows7 64 bit laptop, but when i rebooted it went straight to windows without offering to boot zorin, now ive used ubuntu 12 b4 but it also was on the c drive, here i put it on the d drive, even tho it is 1 drive total. im not a programmer type and i dont do well trying to change things in linux, i despise windows for having made me spend hundreds for updated os, i was trying this here and intend to buy the premium version on payday, but i can only get to internet from the live zorin on the usb, can somebody please tell me what i need to do, a command line or something please, thank you and all who developed this.

madvinegar

Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:42:21 pm

You have most likely installed grub on the wrong partition.

Boot using the live CD of ubuntu.
When you get to the desktop, plug an ethernet cable to get internet, open terminal (ctrl+alt+T) and write one after the other the below 2 commands, hitting <enter> after each one:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair && sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair && (sudo boot-repair &)

This will install and open a program called boot repair. When it opens click on "recomended repair" and let it do its work.
After everything is completed, reboot and your grub will be repaired. You will see the grub menu from where you can choose which OS you want to boot to.

fozz

Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:13:18 pm

madvinegar wrote:You have most likely installed grub on the wrong partition.

Boot using the live CD of ubuntu.
When you get to the desktop, plug an ethernet cable to get internet, open terminal (ctrl+alt+T) and write one after the other the below 2 commands, hitting <enter> after each one:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair && sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair && (sudo boot-repair &)

This will install and open a program called boot repair. When it opens click on "recomended repair" and let it do its work.
After everything is completed, reboot and your grub will be repaired. You will see the grub menu from where you can choose which OS you want to boot to.

thank you ill do it

pp4mnklinux

Wed May 01, 2013 7:51:38 am

My recomendation:

Use a soft called "Boot Repair"

It's easy for newbies. Fully Recomended

Search it at: http://linuxzone.es/2011/09/30/solucion ... ot-repair/

Or search for it on google "Boot repair for linux" to find it in your own language

CU AND HAVE A NICE DAY, MY FRIEND !

Wolfman

Wed May 01, 2013 10:23:43 am

Hi,

you can also boot the Linux live CD and then open a terminal once fully booted and enter the following command in a terminal:

sudo update-grub

Then restart and everything should be the way you want it!.

See this guide about partitioning and bootloader recovery:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

I also recommend "Boot Repair" as do the others:

http://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair/home/Home/

Hope it helps.

Regards Wolfman :)

pp4mnklinux

Wed May 01, 2013 6:13:16 pm

Hi:

If you wanna download Boot Repair Disk directly to record it using any recording software, you can visit

http://sourceforge.net/projects/boot-re ... t/download