This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Google Earth photos

Wolfman

Fri May 03, 2013 7:05:44 am

Hi all,

as the title suggests, I cannot get the photos to display in GE, anyone have an idea??.

Workspace 1_002.jpeg

I have tried various settings in GE but to no avail!!.

Regards Wolfman :

madvinegar

Fri May 03, 2013 9:58:37 am

Do you have the latest GE installed? 7.xx.xx

Wolfman

Fri May 03, 2013 10:00:08 am

madvinegar wrote:Do you have the latest GE installed? 7.xx.xx

Hi MV,

yes I do!!.

Regards Wolfman :)

Wolfman

Fri May 03, 2013 10:27:51 am

Hi,

here is a shot of whats installed:

About Google Earth_001.jpeg

I will try an earlier version!!.

Wolfman

Fri May 03, 2013 10:34:29 am

Okay,

installed older version:

About Google Earth_002.jpeg

And now it works!!.

Workspace 1_003.jpeg

Dont install version 7 if you want all features!!.

Luckily for me; I still have version 6 saved to file so I simply removed version 7 and replaced it with the older one!!.

Regards Wolfman :)

madvinegar

Fri May 03, 2013 12:37:01 pm

I have version 7 and works without any problem WM.

I am pretty sure that it is a GPU driver problem and this is why the previous version works. I have seen that many time with GE.

I think your GPU is ATI? Have you tried with both open and proprietary drivers?

Wolfman

Fri May 03, 2013 12:57:58 pm

Hi chaps,

ver 7 (Beta) didn't work on either my ATI or Nvidia rig, I simply clicked on download and the beta came along, do you have the beta version MV??.

You can turn off the Google Spyware in the settings Swarf, its not like I'm am looking for Area 51 or something lol!!!. :D

Regards Wolfman :D

madvinegar

Sat May 04, 2013 6:14:20 pm

Version 7.0.3.8542

Wolfman

Sun May 05, 2013 8:43:19 am

Hi MV,

you have ver 7, the one that I downloaded was the beta version for some reason??.

Ver 6 works fine so I will stick with that for now.

madvinegar

Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:00:31 am

Dear WM, just to write an update about this topic and to confirm that you were right.

I recently installed ubuntu 13.04 and had to download and install GE again.

If you go to the official site of Google Earth and you select to download the latest version, you get the 7.1 version which is beta (and has a lot of problems like crashes, no panoramio photos shown etc.).
There is an option at the download page (you click at "detailed installation") and it lets you download the previous version of GE which is 7.0. Or at least you would think so(!) as you still get the 7.1 beta release even if you select the 7.0 !!!

All I got was crashes at opening of GE and, guess what, the panoramio photos were not working...

I was lucky that I have kept my GE 7.0 deb release, so I installed it and all works great now. I hope that they will fix this 7.1 beta problem soon enough.

In case you would like to test the 7.0 release I can upload it to ubuntu ONE for you to download. However it is the 64bit version.

Wolfman

Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:07:51 am

Thanks MV,

I still have version 6 which runs fine for my needs!!.

Why someone like Google would allow the release of a buggy app is beyond me, maybe they are related to Ubuntu and Gnome 3, they could be cousins!!. :D :D :D

madvinegar

Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:23:36 am

It's a mystery! The official present google earth release is a beta !!!

Wolfman

Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:38:37 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:Hi peeps, surprised to say this myself but its Bing Maps for me! :D

Yes Swarf, but can you use Bing Maps under Linux??????. It is said that it will/might work with the "Moonlight" plugin but whenever I try and download the MS codecs; it comes up with a message about a network error!!.

madvinegar

Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:59:32 pm

Check this out: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4800

Wolfman

Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:34:31 pm

Hi MV,

I already have it installed thanks!!.