This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

GTK+

seahorse

Mon May 06, 2013 2:19:03 pm

I am trying to install a new sylpheed email client version 3.3 and get rid of the beta version from USC.
on ./configure I get the following:
checking for pkg-config... /usr/bin/pkg-config
checking pkg-config is at least version 0.16... yes
checking for GLIB - version >= 2.8.0... yes (version 2.32.3)
checking for glib-genmarshal... /usr/bin/glib-genmarshal
checking for pkg-config... /usr/bin/pkg-config
checking for GTK+ - version >= 2.8.0... no
*** Could not run GTK+ test program, checking why...
*** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log for the
*** exact error that occured. This usually means GTK+ is incorrectly installed.
configure: error: Test for Gtk failed. See the 'INSTALL' for help.
rick@RickSivernell:~/Downloads/sylpheed-3.3.0$

is there something missing in the system setup here. Normally this should work
without any problems.

I have over the weekend in stalled the 6.2 ultimate package on my Sony Vaio aw-310j
laptop.
Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU T6500 @ 2.10GHz × 2
6 gig memory
GeForce 9600M GT/PCIe/SSE2

Wolfman

Mon May 06, 2013 7:50:00 pm

Hi,

try the package from here and use "gdebi" to install it once downloaded, you are most likely lacking dependencies and gdebi should sort it out for you.

http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=sylpheed

sudo apt-get install gdebi

(If not already installed!!)

See also:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallingSoftware
(The part about Gdebi!!)

Regards Wolfman :D

seahorse

Tue May 07, 2013 9:14:57 pm

Thank you for your reply, however ubuntu only has amd64 with debug info. I want to build
for my machine. The error is on verifing GTK+ on the system. I am trying to build a custom package.
That is where I need your help, verify that GTK+ and where it is, then sym link so a build will take place.
./configure
make && make install

Wolfman

Wed May 08, 2013 6:02:04 am

Hi,

all I can offer is to tell you that you should try and find an "all.deb" package and that should be system independent, do you have a 32 Bit or 64 Bit PC??.

The reason I ask is because some people don't realise that you need the correct ending on the deb package, as an example: amd64.deb or i386.deb for 64 and 32 Bit PC's respectively, as stated above, anything ending all.deb is for both systems.

You won't need "make" etc if you use deb packages on Debian based systems!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

seahorse

Thu May 09, 2013 8:54:59 pm

Wolfman

++The reason I ask is because some people don't realise that you need the correct ending on the deb package, as an example: amd64.deb or i386.deb for 64 and ++32 Bit PC's respectively, as stated above, anything ending all.deb is for both systems.avoid user
++You won't need "make" etc if you use deb packages on Debian based systems!!.
what I needed
Well, after searching the ubuntu world, there was not a 1X_64.deb or all.deb for this package. I have found and have installed it. Works very nicely,
did my ./ccnfigure -> make && sudo make install. Built a very nice package and installed the program. Not everyone understands a software development
process, those who do can configure build and install to meet their machine. If there is a problem, a fix can be made and inserted into the program. That fix
may or may not be suitable for all machines. The Zorin OS mindset may to keep that out of the system making it less complex and avoiding user problems.
I personally feel that is not correct approach. While I do like what you have, it is starting to find some holes in it. The more software you add, the slower but
screen updates are getting more errattic. Nothing new in software, most Linux OSes have the same problem. At least it is 1000% better MS.