This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] skype and microphone

lobsters15

Thu May 16, 2013 4:14:41 pm

I cannot get the internal microphone on my Acer Aspire D255E netbook to work. I have googled for answers and I have installed Pulse Audio Volume. I am a complete novice but what puzzles me is when I make changes to the sound settings there is no OK box to save the new settings. Consequently when I make changes they are not permanent. I am beginning to wonder if I have a faulty installation of Zorin because when I checked for software updates in the Software Update Manager there was no install box.This problem was solved by a forum member giving me terminal commands.

Wolfman

Thu May 16, 2013 6:14:44 pm

Hi,

did you check out the update guide?, especially the part about running "DPKG" ?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

For problems with Skype sound, see this thread and read it through:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2023&p=7875#p7875

If you have any more questions, fire away!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

madvinegar

Fri May 17, 2013 12:52:53 pm

I think the problem is that your mic is monophonic and not stereo.
Since you have installed Palse audio vloume control, go to the "audio in" tab, and set one speaker (either the left or the right) to zero. Leave the other speaker to full volume.

lobsters15

Fri May 17, 2013 3:57:48 pm

The problem was solved by reinstalling Skype For Ubuntu 10 rather than Ubuntu 12. This allowed me to open the main menu in Skype and select pulse audio. There was no icon for the main menu in the Ubuntu 12 version of Skype. I also set one of the audio channels to zero. Thanks for all help.

Wolfman

Sat May 18, 2013 6:46:10 am

Good to hear, have marked as solved!.

Regards Wolfman :D