This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Problem With Dock/Task Bar (and also making this post)

AlliedForces

Sat May 18, 2013 4:00:44 pm

I am attaching a screenshot of the dock panel that worked well yesterday when I changed to it, though after shutting down for the night and now starting the system up today, I get what you see in the screenshot.
Thr right task/dock panel is covering Firefox, which I have pinned to the dock.

Also, on another note... While creating this post I noticed that when I move the cursor in and out of the text field it will change brightness. While in the text field it is bright. If I cursor out of the field, it will darken.
But wait... And now it's not doing it! I have to say, this OS is still BUGGY/GLITCHY!! I have had better luck with 6.3 than any other release, but more work is required to get the bugs out!!

Now, after submitting the post and then going back to edit it, it is again changing brightness within the text field of this post. OH and again a minute later... it is not. HAH and now again it is changing brightness.
This is Whacky!!

And NOW... I have tried to attach my screenshot several times and I don't see it in the post!

pp4mnklinux

Sat May 18, 2013 6:16:46 pm

Dear AlliedForces:
As you can see I'm not an experienced user, but something similar happened to me sometime ago.

I solved it in this way:
-Right click on the dock bar and you must choose "Dock preferences"

-In the menu that appears you should try to find the problem, although in my case the problem was with an installed applet (dialect applet)

Try, but that's all I can say to U

have a nice day

AlliedForces

Sat May 18, 2013 6:50:12 pm

pp4mnklinux wrote:Dear AlliedForces:
As you can see I'm not an experienced user, but something similar happened to me sometime ago.

I solved it in this way:
-Right click on the dock bar and you must choose "Dock preferences"

-In the menu that appears you should try to find the problem, although in my case the problem was with an installed applet (dialect applet)

Try, but that's all I can say to U

have a nice day

Thanks for your input... but I have gone through everything I can find or think of and nothing helps. I am on the verge of deleting this distro from my hard drive as I have done with all the past versions. I don't think these programmers know enough to make this distro work flawlessly or even close. After I had installed 6.3 originally, everything seemed good and thought they finally figured it out. But the more I use it, the more bugs and glitches pop up. Now, I'm missing bookmarks from my Firefox browser and even after re-installing them, various bookmarks randomly dissappear once again. This is ridiculous.

Wolfman

Sat May 18, 2013 7:42:35 pm

Hi,

a question for you, did you install Zorin completely as a clean install or did you leave the home partition intact from a different version of Linux, this would explain all your glitches!!.

Run "DPKG" per this guide an it should sort it out:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Regards Wolfman :D

AlliedForces

Sun May 19, 2013 1:05:42 am

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

a question for you, did you install Zorin completely as a clean install or did you leave the home partition intact from a different version of Linux, this would explain all your glitches!!.

Run "DPKG" per this guide an it should sort it out:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

I did a full install and used the whole drive for Zorin.

Wolfman

Sun May 19, 2013 7:52:36 am

Hi AF,

how old is the drive and what type of file system did you use, it should be "Ext4" ?.

You didn't answer my question about running "DPKG", did you do that too?.

AlliedForces

Sun May 19, 2013 11:36:27 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi AF,

how old is the drive and what type of file system did you use, it should be "Ext4" ?.

You didn't answer my question about running "DPKG", did you do that too?.

6 months old Crucial Solid State 128 Gig hard drive.

Yes, I did install it and I moved widgets down and they appeared in the task bar. Cool... but guess what?
After re-booting the computer, They all disappeared!

Wolfman

Mon May 20, 2013 2:26:05 pm

Hi AF,

what desktop are you using??.

You can also look at my guide for partitioning if you like, that is assuming it could be of help to you:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

AlliedForces

Mon May 20, 2013 4:45:59 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi AF,

what desktop are you using??.

You can also look at my guide for partitioning if you like, that is assuming it could be of help to you:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

In Zorin, I am using the main desktop that it comes with. I have not done much customization.
And for installation, I used the whole drive option. If it should be installed another way, then I
would wonder why the Zorin programmers wouldn't utilize what will work best?

Wolfman

Mon May 20, 2013 5:10:16 pm

Hi AF,

if you select the "Use whole disk" option, it doesn't create a home partition afaik, this is why I prefer to create my partitions and then sselect the "Something else" option I also touched on the guide I posted earlier, the installer isn't from the Zorin devs but from Ubuntu as a standard installer tool!!.

If you like playing with Linux, I would start again and do a complete re-install AFTER creating seperate swap/root/home partitions. Read the guide again and there is a section about just installing Linux.

You might also want to check out the post install guide, there are a couple of pointers for the Win7 look (AWN):

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

Let us know what you think.

AlliedForces

Tue May 21, 2013 3:06:33 am

But I don't understand how having a home partition will make Linux run any better. Doesn't that just partition the drive with another section for your personal files so everything isn't in the main?
I haven't used a Home partition in years and haven't had issues with disappearing icons from the dock. In fact, I don't think I ever remember this happening.

Wolfman

Tue May 21, 2013 7:19:04 am

Hi AF,

my main concern with regards to seperate root and home partitions is to save time if you re-install as all your files and settings will still be intact in your home folder if you don't format it!!.

That said, I honestly don't know if it makes the system stable or not, it does save time though if you do re-install!!. This is just something I do and find it useful if you are re-installing the same OS.

Wolfman

Wed May 22, 2013 7:50:24 pm

Hi swarf,

from kernel ver 3 onwards, Trim is supported:

http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/SSD_Tun ... ing_Format

I know nothing about SSD drives so tell me off if you want to; I got the info from here, in the section "Decide Which File System to Use" :

Wolfman

Fri May 24, 2013 6:20:41 am

I know a lot about S & M lol!!!. :D :D :D :D