This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[THREAD CLOSED] System tray

Mangraviti

Sat May 18, 2013 10:02:05 pm

Hi people.

I am having trouble with Skype and the system tray icon.

I have installed Zorin OS 6 on my laptop and it works just fine. I liked the distro and decided to install it on my desktop and it's been a disgrace.

Firstly, every time Xorg is updated, Gnome simply won't start and I need to reinstall the proprietary ATI driver via command line.

Secondly, Skype works perfectly but the tray icon does not appear and if I close the window - it will disappear and become unaccessible. I need to kill the task and reopen it and remember not to close the window ever.

Is there anything that can be done regarding the tray icon? I really need Skype working flawlessly and Zorin OS doesn't seem to be a usable OS, unless one knows how to sort out these annoying problems.

I tried using the Zorin look changer thing. Skype tray doesn't show up whatever option I pick (Windows 7, Windows XP or Gnome 2).

Any suggestions or should I just give up Zorin and go back to Debian?

Wolfman

Sun May 19, 2013 8:11:48 am

Hi,

another tip is to minimize Skype and not close the main window, if you add a 2nd panel in Win7 mode, you can add the Skype icon to that!!.

Skype works fine for me btw!!.

As you can see from the pic, it is running and works fine on Zorin OS 6 and I have it on both an ATI and Nvidia PC.

Run "DPKG" per this guide:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Regards Wolfman :D

Selection_016.jpeg

Mangraviti

Mon May 20, 2013 1:49:54 am

I've given up... Installed Ubuntu instead and it worked out of the box. Zorin, never again.

Wolfman

Mon May 20, 2013 2:31:06 pm

Sorry to hear that, I will mark this thread as "Closed".

Regards Wolfman :D