This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Just tried to install KPatience and No Go

AlliedForces

Sun May 19, 2013 4:40:24 am

Wow guys... I am really getting tired of all the freakin problems!

I just tried to install and re-install, UN-install and re-install again and nothing will get KPatience to actually RUN!

It's in the main Zorin menu and when I click on it, it goes away and then nothing happens.

What do I do?

Ya know... I CAN be technical, but I don't have the desire, nor the time to be. I just need an OS that helps me
get my tasks accomplished. But I can now say that I highly doubt it will be Zorin. I simply wanted to play a
game of solitare before hitting the hay stack.

:roll:

Wolfman

Sun May 19, 2013 8:00:38 am

Hi AF,

I have found that installing the main packages for "Gnome and KDE" sort out my little problems, you will of course get a shed load of things you don't need but imo; it adds to the stability of the OS.

In a terminal:

sudo apt-get install gnome kde-full

Then restart your PC.

Regards Wolfman :D

jymm

Sun May 19, 2013 2:31:55 pm

I run KPatience without problems. I am not sure how you installed KPatience. I used Synaptic, which if I remember correctly added the KDE desktop stuff I needed when I installed KPatience. While I agree Aisle Riot is the same game, KPatience is much better developed, and I don't use the auto drop feature.

I know I also use Krita, KBlocks, KCheckers and KSnapshot. I use them on Zorin and Solus, which is also a Gnome desktop without a problem. I don't like the KDE desktop but they do have some good software. The biggest thing the drives me crazy is everything has to start with K.

AlliedForces

Mon May 20, 2013 1:47:10 am

swarfendor437 wrote:All I can say is, what is wrong with Aisle Riot Solitaire? It is the same thing, but I guess he was too tired not to have the functionality of KPatience that moves the cards for you automatically! :mrgreen:

It's people like you with your low-level intelligent comments that we absolutely do NOT need in situations like this. Please find something more constructive to do with your life than being a sarcastic rip on others. Did you know it's only YOU that you are ripping on anyway?? What comes out of you is only a reflection of yourself. <><

Wolfman

Mon May 20, 2013 2:22:50 pm

Hi AF,

did you do what I suggested and did it work??.

AlliedForces

Mon May 20, 2013 4:55:25 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi AF,

did you do what I suggested and did it work??.

Yes... KPatience now works. Thanks again Wolfman!

I actually like the KDE desktop better as well. I like the features of it and the customization posibilities.
But on another note... I am used to KDE as I have ran it using Netrunner for quite some time and I
wouldn't even be messing with Zorin right now if it weren't for Netrunner now having issues. Netrunner
has always been my favorite and once 13 is released, I will probably be going back to it, if they get
their poop together.

Wolfman

Mon May 20, 2013 5:01:26 pm

Hi AF,

glad to hear you are sorted, I always install the 2 packages I recommended to use as I also like KDE, I do that on all versions of Linux as I always mix and match the apps.

I am not sure if there will ever be a KDE version of Zorin but I can live in hope!!.

AlliedForces

Mon May 20, 2013 6:08:09 pm

You know what Wolfman? I tried doing this on my second system and it failed.

Wolfman

Tue May 21, 2013 7:00:52 am

Hi AF,

failed in what way?, can you elaborate and did you run "DPKG" to try and solve the problem??.

What is your 2nd system comprised of??.

Wolfman

Tue May 21, 2013 1:47:21 pm

Hi Swarf,

I meant to ask what OS!!. Sorry!!.

Edit: Found out via PM that it now works!!. :D