This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Loss of docked icons

seahorse

Mon May 20, 2013 10:21:40 pm

I am using Zorin ultimate 6.2, looks nice untill you do some work. I have enabled the Mac OSX look
and from time to time there is no icons at the bottom dock. Nor is there a dock for the icons to sit upon.
The top dock losses the text on the users right side showing system info and system tray. Ooops, just gone.
The user left hand side where the currently in focussed app's menu bar is there but you can not access it.
From time to time the Zorin icon acting as the menu option will disappear.

This next one maybe as programmed, I hope not. On startup or when it redetects the usb has a hard drive or stick
it opens a new file manager for each one that it finds. This is totally bad. If this is programmed this way, shame on them.
Only one program manager is present unless the user request an additional manager window. Just update the currently
opened file manager.

At startup, I am using a LG 27" monitor, NEW, and the mouse can not access the full width of the screen, for about 2 minutes
of waiting. The display starts displaying the objects on the screen, if it is not ready yet, a black area will be displayed untill
the system loada the real icons or what ever.

The HPLIPprogram starts nicely and trys to add an icon on the system tray, 95% of the time a error appears denoting no
room left on system tray. It then goes away. No faxing here or image scanning.

These in of them self are not much, but they are adding up. I like the Apple interface and this is the last step before I dump
Linux for an Apple. I would rather not do that, the money, and my current laptop is great. A 18.5 inch HD screen with Blue-Ray
burner. I am retired and can general help fix this. I have been crating software since the punch card and tape days.

Rick Sivernell

Wolfman

Tue May 21, 2013 7:23:38 am

Hi Rick,

please check out these guides and update first, then report back if anything has changed for you, do you have an Nvidia graphics card?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

If you have an Nvidia card:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2490

Regards Wolfman :D

seahorse

Tue May 21, 2013 9:04:41 pm

Wolfman

Thanks, I have seen most of the recommended before and had done them. However, redoing to make
certai n that all is there. Nvidia is and white out along with fixing alt tab blow up of system. Minor fixes in
compiz manager. Now full switching between running apps, as it should. I did find some new really cool icons
and themes. I still using ZoriosMac with Zorinos. I have attached screen shot, enjoy. After my last problem
list I did have another pop up on the list. The top awn bar disappeared. But if you where carefull, you could get
the drop down menus from some of the systray apps and the left z in a blue field's menu. Only fix seems to be
a fulll reboot. Now with the work done today, I will lay in wait to see if any of those little nasties show back up.

Rick

PS

What kind of wolfman are you? Werewolf or what <grin>

seahorse

Tue May 21, 2013 10:18:49 pm

Wolfman

Sorry, did not think first, resaved as DesktopMac.jpg. you should have it now.

seahorse

Tue May 21, 2013 10:19:54 pm

Wolfman

That is a LG 27 inch monitor.

Wolfman

Wed May 22, 2013 7:39:40 am

Hi seahorse,

did you install the Nvidia drivers per the guide I posted earlier?.

I suggest you try this route, it will install several packages you won't need but adds to the stability of the system imo.

Open a terminal and enter:

sudo apt-get install gnome kde-full

the above are the full base packages for both Gnome and KDE but work for me.

Let us know how you get on.

In answer to your your question as to what type of Wolfman I am, I am not a "Werewolf" but a "Beerwolf" :D :D :D

seahorse

Wed May 22, 2013 1:05:30 pm

Wolfman

Last time, thee only time, I was in Europe, we stopped in Frankfurt with a 3 - 4 hour layover. I enjoyed
some really good Becks beer, Really cold, when I got back here to the states, the beer tasted like Panther
****. Disappointing to say the lest. There is a lot to like here in the States, but booze is not one of them,
except Jack Danials Tennessee Sour Mash.

I will go and redo the Nvidia drivers this morning and then see what happens. Since yesterday, everything
has worked as expected. But not long enough time to make any real test.

By the way, Seahorse is my call sign, when I flew in the Marines during RVN.
Thanks.
Rick

seahorse

Wed May 22, 2013 3:10:25 pm

Wolfman

Completed all of your suggestions. I will let you know how it goes.

Wolfman

Wed May 22, 2013 4:56:28 pm

Hi Seahorse,

the beer is good in Germany, no doubt this is why so many ex-pats and a few Yanks I know live here!!.

Let us know how you get on.