This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

updates to zorin lite

pedrothefish

Tue May 21, 2013 11:46:47 am

I think I have done the wrong thing! I received a message to say that my system was no longer supported so I should update to 12.04, reading on the forum I see that this is incorrect?.
I installed zorin lite last year on my old IBM T30 its been great to use, so do I now have to burn another disc with the latest zorin 6.3 and install or can it be done as an update?
Another issue I have is that I have been trying to install XBMC without any success, but I think I will wait until I sort this problem out
thanks for any help

Wolfman

Tue May 21, 2013 1:59:28 pm

Hi Pedro,

what version of Lite did you install/have installed??. If you need the latest then 12.04 is the way to go, you can install over your current version assuming you have ver 5 installed but you would have to do a normal install and choose "Something Else" when asked where you want to install but don't select your /home for formatting; jusr root and it will keep all your files intact, you should back them up anyway in case you make a mistake, there is a guide about partitioning here if you are not sure, you will have to install all your apps again after the install though!.:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

See the part about something else.

The reason that you must do a full install is that if you do select to update (Swarf already mentioned about setting it to "Never") to the next highest version of Ubuntu, it will do just that, update to a version of Ubuntu/Lubuntu but not Zorin because the updater is configured only for Ubuntu products and not a generic OS like Zorin OS!!.

This topic has been covered in the update guide:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Let us know if this helps.

Regards Wolfman :D

pedrothefish

Tue May 21, 2013 6:44:15 pm

thanks for the quick response!
I was running zorin 6 lite with lubuntu 11.10 it is now running zorin 6 lite with lubuntu 12.04 but to be honest I cant see much difference after the update.
I use this laptop web browsing and downloading it only has 20gb hard drive and 500mb of ram(I think) I am not very computer literate but I'm a tryer!
After reading some of the above I might go quiet for a time while I try to digest all the information.
I also think that this machine is probably not powerful enough for xbmc perhaps I was trying to run before I could walk.