This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[RESOLVED] sudo dpkg --configure -a crashes my machine

solafide

Thu May 23, 2013 7:49:19 pm

Hello there! I'm a Zorin noob and just install 6.2 Lite for my old Dell Inspiron E1505 laptop. The wireless drivers aren't working and my machine crashes when I do several things:
1- Go to Preferences>Additional Drivers and activate the Broadcom STA Wireless Drivers (so I need another option here)
2- Synaptic Package Manager crashes and when I try to uninstall SPM with the Software Center it crashes my machine
3- My machine also crashes when I try a: 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' when trying to solve these issues manually through a terminal.

So at the moment Zorin isn't looking so hot for this noob :P

What do I need to do to solve these issues? Is there any info I can give you that would help solve my problems (some wireless hw info at bottom)?

Thanks!

*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX
vendor: Broadcom Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
logical name: eth0
version: 02
serial: 00:15:c5:ac:25:8d
size: 100Mbit/s
capacity: 100Mbit/s
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=b44 driverversion=2.0 duplex=full ip=192.168.1.11 latency=64 multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=100Mbit/s
resources: irq:17 memory:df9fe000-df9fffff

solafide

Thu May 23, 2013 8:40:10 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, the notebook is connected to the router via network cable. The internet connection works fine this way.

Edit: Still no wifi solution or sudo dpkg solution though...

Wolfman

Fri May 24, 2013 6:19:03 am

hi,

take a look at this update guide and run "DPKG" per the guide:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

Once that is done and updated, go to:

System Settings > Hardware > Addititional Drivers and see if your drivers are on offer, if not, wait for Madvinegar like Swarf said!!.

Do not remove Synaptic as it is a very useful tool!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

solafide

Fri May 24, 2013 6:49:38 pm

So I've rebooted in recovery mode and tried to run the dpkg. This process seems to hang up and not go any further after about a minute. Another couple of attempts have arrived at the same conclusion, so I've just manually rebooted every time. The 'fsck' process works correctly though. Along with synaptic -not- working, I've noticed that I can't even shell install the build-essential for a gcc compiler. Would a complete reinstall be necessary? At this point I'm thinking maybe another lite distro might be suitable for this old laptop. Any new suggestions?

EDIT: I can't install anything, not even with the Software center. It will crash my machine.

Wolfman

Fri May 24, 2013 6:55:07 pm

Hi,

you did click on "Network" before trying to run "DPKG" didn't you????. DPKG only works if you activate the network first using a network cable!!.

Failing that, you might want to try Zorin OS Lite which requires less CPU and RAM!!.

Regards Wolfman.

solafide

Fri May 24, 2013 7:10:06 pm

Yes, I have tried "Network" before "DPKG". It still hangs. Zorin 6.2 Lite is what I've installed.

solafide

Sat May 25, 2013 4:05:17 am

A reinstall didn't seem to fix it. :[

I'm trying out Trisquel now. Seems to be working fine.

Thanks for all of your help! :]

Wolfman

Sat May 25, 2013 5:05:40 am

Hi,

at least you have a working system, if you still require help, feel free to post here.

I will mark this as "Closed".

Regards Wolfman :D