This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Custom User Picture

robertlafler

Fri May 24, 2013 8:08:42 pm

Hi,

I just installed the 7.0 RC. I love it so far. I changed the generic user account picture to a custom one which the utility made very easy to do. The problem is the new photo does not update at the top of the zorin menu. If i click on the generic picture icon at the top of the menu it opens up user accounts and I can see my custom picture there.

Thanks,
Bob

Wolfman

Fri May 24, 2013 9:24:12 pm

Hi,

System Settings > System > User Accounts and unlock it first and click on the pic by your name and a list of available pics will show up, select one and close....done.

Regards wolfman :D
User Accounts_004.jpg

Wolfman

Sat May 25, 2013 2:47:03 pm

Workspace 1_007.jpg

Here you go Swarf :lol: :lol: :lol:

Regards Wolfman :D

Wolfman

Sat May 25, 2013 3:08:15 pm

That is the menu Swarf!!, click on the icon by your name on the right and the window will appear as you can see from the pic!!.

System Settings > System > User Accounts > Unlock and click on the button by your name on the right side of the box!!.

Wolfman

Sun May 26, 2013 8:31:39 am

Hi all,

sorry, I didn't read the first post correctly which isn't the first time, sorry chaps.

Right click the Zorin menu button > Preferences > Themes > Menu Selection and select a different menu and see if it changes, I haven't checked it out fully but I did click on the icon in the menu and tried to change the pic, the user account window opened and I changed my pic but it didn't change in the menu!!.

Zorin Menu Settings_008.jpg

Wolfman

Mon May 27, 2013 8:06:49 am

Menu_011.jpg

It doesn't really tell you anything though, there is no change in the pic regardless of what you do!.

rindi

Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:34:36 pm

I've found a work-around for this. It seems that when you install the OS, and you have a webcam with your PC, you can make a foto of yourself that is then used as the picture shown in that menu. The installer creates a file with the name ".face" in your user account's root directory.

I then played around with that file, deleted it, then took another picture file with a ".png" extension, copied it to the user's root folder, and gave it the name ".face". After that this picture was displayed in the Zorin menu.

rindi

Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:50:37 pm

The .face file has worked for me also on a PC where I didn't add a picture during the installation. I tried it with both, a jpg an png file, it worked for both formats. But remember, it needs to be in the user's root folder (/home/username/), and it doesn't appear immediately. You either have logoff and then back on, reboot, or refresh the menu via right click, preferences, then OK...

Contra

Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:26:49 am

was anyone successful in getting your chosen pic in the menu?

Wolfman

Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:28:40 am

rindi wrote:I've found a work-around for this. It seems that when you install the OS, and you have a webcam with your PC, you can make a foto of yourself that is then used as the picture shown in that menu. The installer creates a file with the name ".face" in your user account's root directory.

I then played around with that file, deleted it, then took another picture file with a ".png" extension, copied it to the user's root folder, and gave it the name ".face". After that this picture was displayed in the Zorin menu.

Hi,

read the answer above!.

Wolfman

Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:45:00 am

swarfendor437 wrote:Hi Wolfman, are we talking 7 or 6 here? :D

Hi swarf,

I guess you would have to direct that question at rindi as he said he has the answer!. I could'nt get it to work!!.

Contra

Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:16:51 am

Wolfman wrote:
rindi wrote:I've found a work-around for this. It seems that when you install the OS, and you have a webcam with your PC, you can make a foto of yourself that is then used as the picture shown in that menu. The installer creates a file with the name ".face" in your user account's root directory.

Hi,

read the answer above!.

but this refers to a fresh install...i already have it, and don't wanna start over

Wolfman

Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:11:22 am

Hi,

I found something that may help, you need to paste whatever pic you want to use in: Computer (or File) >var > lib > AccountsService > icons and it should work!???????.

You must be "root" to paste anything in the folder, open a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) and paste the following command which will make you root long enough to do this:

Code:
gksudo nautilus

I have not tried it yet!, I got the info from here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1969332