This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Crossover & Skype

siawacsh

Sun May 26, 2013 1:31:04 am

Helloi, I just moved over from Mint and am experiencing problems with these two applications.

Crossover installed fine and gets listed under the application menu. But when I click on it, I see the only option is to uninstall it. The program does not launch at all. I have used this file to install it as instructed by Codeweavers.

ia32-crossover_12.2.1-1_amd64.deb

I could not find Skype in the software center and installed the Ubuntu 12.04 (multiarch) provided by the Skype repository. Is this the correct file to use?

If this is a Zorin issue please provide some feedback. It has worked in Mint 14.

I am not sure which version of Zorin I am using. This is the uname output.

siawacsh@siawacsh-sager:~$ uname -a
Linux siawacsh-sager 3.2.0-41-generic #66-Ubuntu SMP Thu Apr 25 03:27:11 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Thanks
siawacsh

Wolfman

Sun May 26, 2013 8:36:59 am

Hi,

firstly, Skype is in the repo but you may have to activate the Medibuntu repo to access it:

http://www.medibuntu.org/repository.php

Update fully once you have added the Medibuntu repo and let us know if you still have problems, you might find that Codeweavers also works afterwards!, please see the thread below:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Let us know how you get on.

I deleted your post about 3rd party software as this is the same question on this thread!!.

You can install any Debian based package as long as it fits your system, either 32 or 64 Bit package, also an "alldeb" package will work on both systems!!. Use "Gdebi" to install single .deb packages rather than the Ubuntu software center as it is quicker!!.

See the post install guide too:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

Regards Wolfman :D

siawacsh

Mon May 27, 2013 11:16:04 am

Thanks Wolfman,

I updated the system and added the recommended reposistories. Here are the results

I managed to downloading a working Skype but still experiencing problems with Crossover. Yes, I can find the Crossover listed in the software center but here is the error I get when I try to install.

Code:
siawacsh@siawacsh-sager:~/Downloads$ ls -la
total 46320
drwxr-xr-x  4 siawacsh siawacsh     4096 May 27 11:02 .
drwxr-xr-x 40 siawacsh siawacsh     4096 May 27 09:39 ..
drwxrwxr-x  2 siawacsh siawacsh     4096 May 26 02:40 errors
drwx------ 29 siawacsh siawacsh     4096 May 26 01:39 flash_drive
-rwxr-xr-x  1 siawacsh siawacsh 47358342 May 26 00:56 ia32-crossover_12.2.1-1_amd64.deb
siawacsh@siawacsh-sager:~/Downloads$ sudo dpkg -i ia32-crossover_12.1.2-1_amd64.deb
dpkg: error processing ia32-crossover_12.1.2-1_amd64.deb (--install):
cannot access archive: No such file or directory
Errors were encountered while processing:
ia32-crossover_12.1.2-1_amd64.deb
siawacsh@siawacsh-sager:~/Downloads$

It is important to note that in software sources/repositories tab for updates I was unable to place a check mark for any of the four options (security, recommended, prerelease etc). As soon as I place the checkmark it would be taken off. But I could manually update from the terminal.

Thanks

siawacsh

Mon May 27, 2013 11:59:04 am

Actually, I jumped the gun regarding my last message. Updating the repositories allowed me to access the the trail version of crossover. I already have a subscription with Codeweavers and they have in the past recommended downloading and insalling the package directly from their repositories. I already have the crossover file on my drive but experiencing the above described error when I try to install. My windows application are currently running on the trail version. So I guess this is now a Codeweaver issue. Thankfully I am not experiencing any issues with my network. Apart from the act of contributing to the good people here, which I intend to do anyway, do you think downloading and installing the ultimate version of Zorin has any advantages.? I mean, is it not a question of access some extra repositories?

siawacsh

siawacsh

Thu May 30, 2013 12:10:42 pm

Problem solved. Thanks