This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Disk utility

siawacsh

Sun May 26, 2013 2:01:48 am

Hello, I need help to figure out why the Zorin disk utility cannot repartition my external USB disk drive. Here are the eorrs.

Code:
Error erasing: helper exited with exit code 1: In part_del_partition: device_file=/dev/sdc, offset=32256
Cannot open '/dev/sdc': No such device or address
Error: Error opening /dev/sdc: No such device or address
ped_device_get() failed

siawacsh

Wolfman

Sun May 26, 2013 8:47:06 am

Hi,

it isn't mounted and that is why you cannot access it, once you put in a USB stick, open your home folder and click on the USB drive in the tree on the left and it will mount, you will (I think) have to unmount it when you want to format it using "Gparted", which is just a click away!.

Regards Wolfman :D

siawacsh

Mon May 27, 2013 3:15:40 pm

This was an external drive not a USB key. The propblem seems to have been a permission issue. It has resolved by itself. I can access all the files. I think in the future I should be using a FAT32 file system. That way if for some reason I cannot access my Linux I can use any windows machine to access my data.

Would appreciate comments.

siawacsh

siawacsh

Tue May 28, 2013 6:43:34 pm

You can close this case as fixed. Thanks

Wolfman

Tue May 28, 2013 6:54:54 pm

Hi,

just to clarify, I assumed it was a USB stick because it showed the drive as "sdc" which would normally be an external (USB) drive!!.

Marking as solved.

Wolfman

Wed May 29, 2013 5:43:06 am

Hi Swqarf,

normally a PC with 1 HDD, CD/DVD drive and an external dirve like a USB stick would show up in the same order!!, I was working under the assumption that he had this sort of setup honest!!.