This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Using laptop and external monitor

psfal

Tue May 28, 2013 4:54:44 pm

I've got a Toshiba Tecra R-10
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU P9400 @ 2.4GHz x 2
Graphics: Quadro NVS 150M/PCIe/SSE2

I installed Zorin 6.3 a couple of days ago, alongside Mint 14.1. I have an external monitor attached to my laptop and I like to use both displays. In Mint, and also in Ubuntu 12.04 when i had that installed, they work perfectly. In Zorin I can't get the controls all on one display or switch back and forth, if I try, both displays go black and all I can do is shut it down and reboot the system. This OS is supposed to be based from Ubuntu 12.04 but apparently the display portion was screwed with in a bad way. This all works perfectly with Ubuntu 12.04 and Mint 14.1 both, which should share video characteristics with Zorin since they're all the same core OS origin.

The OS is otherwise flawless for me.

I'm looking at Zorin as an alternative for my Windows using friends who need a shallower learning curve, but until this is solved to my satisfaction I can't recommend Zorin. I'm not a nuts and bolts Linux user, I love Linux and know how to use it but the programming aspect is beyond me.

I currently use Ubuntu 12.04 on my Lenovo laptop, that is my main machine. I use dual displays on that as well.
This Toshiba is my testing machine for different distributions. I love to convert Windows users to Linux, it gives me great satisfaction to erode away at Microsoft's customer base. I haven't touched a Microsoft OS in 4 years beyond backing up data for my converts prior to wiping it from their system...

Wolfman

Tue May 28, 2013 5:08:38 pm

Hi,

please check out these 2 guides first and then report back:

Updating:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Nvidia card should you have one:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2490

Regards Wolfman :D

psfal

Tue May 28, 2013 8:40:45 pm

@Wolfman That seems to have done it, it was the second link that did it, the first made no difference. I appreciate your assistance on the matter:-)

Wolfman

Tue May 28, 2013 9:44:58 pm

Good to hear, will mark as solved.

Regards Wolfman :D