This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Sharper font?

JingleJoe

Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:17:19 am

I'm looking for a way to make the font throughout the system sharper, I've looked through the appearance settings and a lot of other system settings things including compiz settings (which I was told may be a solution to this) but I can't find anything relating to font clarity.
I thought perhaps it was because my screen was set to the wrong size for my monitor but this is not the case (see attachments). That's a screenshot of Wine operating Modplug player (a windows program to play old audio files, really happy I got it working so easily on a non-windows system!) in the background are some folders in the home foler, you can clearly see the difference in font clarity.
The blurry fonts in zorin seriously give me a headache after a while, feels like I'm out of focus but I'm not so it's giving me eye strain :|
I've googled a bit and in other Linux based operating systems like gnome, the font appearance can be edited easily from the appearance settings but I have no such option in Zorin.

So my question is simply: how can I make the fonts sharper in Zorin OS?

Other than this problem the operating system is great, really ready to go from the moment it was set up... although I did end up acidentally destroying everything when I tried to remove all compiz settings before I found the compiz control pannel. :? oops. I re-installed and everything is fine again. Except for this font issue.

Wolfman

Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:45:07 am

Hi,

install the package "gnome-tweak-tool" better known as "Advanced Settings" and you can change the fonts globally, paste the command below in a terminal:

sudo apt-get install gnome-tweak-tool

Advanced Settings_001.jpeg

Regards Wolfman :D

JingleJoe

Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:50:58 am

That's brilliant, thankyou! It was the anti-aliasing, I turned it off and everything system-wise is fine now but oddly it's still anti-aliased in my internet browser... lets poke around with the firefox settings :)

JingleJoe

Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:27:53 pm

Woot! I found a fix for it in firefox too!
Source:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1298180
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... ost8206035
A little code in the terminal and bob's your uncle, it's all nice and sharp!

Wolfman

Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:49:08 am

Hi,

glad to hear it, you basically solved your own problem!!. :D :D :D :D :D

Marked as solved.

DeborahACrow

Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:53:42 pm

Hi,

install the package "gnome-tweak-tool" better known as "Advanced Settings" and you can change the fonts globally, paste the command below in a terminal:

sudo apt-get install gnome-tweak-tool

[attachment=0]Advanced Settings_001.jpeg[/attachment]

I was having a problem with the appearance of the fonts in my terminal and system. This fixed it. I found I had both hinting and antialiasing at none then I had restored my Zorin after installing a bunch of themes that really messed things up. I had had this Tweak installed before restoring but didn't have it after. Anyway, thanks again.