This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Screen 'blink' mystery

Uzi

Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:40:12 am

Hi,

I am a newbie looking at an alternative to Windows XP after it crashes each time I boot, I have looked at Puppy Linux and now Zorin...........LOVE Zorin on 1st look.

Now I have a mystery that I hope someone can help with. My screen (42" LCD TV) 'blinks' every 10 seconds. It did the same with Slacko Puppy but NOT with Lucid Puppy. So what is different with Lucid to Slacko & Zorin?

I am not into programming & editing so tech talk baffles me but I am not computer illiterate either. I am running Zorin off the DVD at the moment as I am scared to install in case I lose all access to my hard drives which at the moment I can get to through Zorin or Puppy if I need to rescue files from my C drive.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Uzi

Wolfman

Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:47:33 pm

Hi and welcome Uzi,

what type of connection to the TV do you have?, is it HDMI?.

I don't really know the reason why it doesn't work with Zorin but I can assume that it has something to do with the graphics card drivers not being installed on the live CD!!.

Go to System Settings > Hardware > Displays and have a look there for a possible setting that you can change!!.
Displays_028.jpg

RSVP.

Regards Wolfman :D

Uzi

Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:23:16 pm

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies & welcome. Because my Windows XP wont boot (opens to desktop then closes & reboots) I cant give you my specs but it is a desktop connected via standard PC connection. I have a Nvidia Gforce graphics card. Zorin gives this info - Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5400 @ 2.70GHz × 2 Graphics Gallium 0.4 on NV96

As I said it does this 'Blink' with Zorin & Puppy Slacko but not with Puppy Lucid. All are the latest versions (Zorin 6.3 Core). I tried MINT but all I got was a black screen. No loss because I found Zorin. Love this & really want to get into it. I will no doubt have loads of questions if I can get this BLINK sorted 1st. If I install & I get a black screen, what then? How would I uninstall it? I have read that Linux have issues with Nvidia drivers but all the replies are too techie for me talking about changing things using Terminal (??)

BTW, I am Brit living in the Philippines but PAL or NTSC doesnt affect using it as a monitor.

Uzi

Wolfman

Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:13:32 am

Hi Uzi,

you don't need to be that techie to use the terminal!.

For the latest Nvidia drivers; open a terminal by pressing Ctrl + Alt + t and copy and paste (or type) the following commands one after the other in the terminal,Press enter after each command is put in, you should only have to provide your password once:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings

Once done, close the terminal and then restart your PC.

It is important to restart your PC in "Recovery Mode" and select "Network" (Cable Only!!) and then run "DPKG" in case there are any updates and after you have done the updates (Mesa, Xorg etc!), restart your PC with Ctrl + Alt + Del, don't click on "Resume" !!.

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2490

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

let us know how you get on.

Uzi

Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:10:50 am

Guys,

One happy Zorin user checking in. I went ahead and took the plunge by installing Zorin. All went seamlessly. I undated the drivers & Nvidia was on the list with a recommended choice. Did a full update too. Restarted & bingo - no blink - Yippee.

Now I can start learning this beauty. Loads of questions to follow but for now, call this one SOLVED.

Uzi.

Wolfman

Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:23:53 am

Hi Uzi,

good to hear and will mark as solved, be sure to read the post install guide link I posted above.

Uzi

Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:20:48 am

Wolfman

Do you mean reboot in Recovery Mode? If so I tried that & all I get is a black screen. Nothing happens. Normal boot workd fine though.

Wolfman

Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:02:06 am

Hi Uzi,

no; I meant the "Post Install Guide" as there are several tips for everyone there. You had already updated so that is no longer a problem for you; that said, you shouldn't just have a black screen!!??.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

Uzi

Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:14:09 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi Uzi,

no; I meant the "Post Install Guide" as there are several tips for everyone there. You had already updated so that is no longer a problem for you; that said, you shouldn't just have a black screen!!??.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

Bit worried about loading updates & new applications with this recovery mode issue. Tried again & nothing happens. Zorin itself is working like a dream so far but what if an issue does appear? My Windows XP System Restore never worked - is this related?

Wolfman

Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:59:50 am

Hi Uzi,

you don't have to use recovery mode but it would help if is working for the just-in-case scenario!!.

Read through the update guide I posted earlier, it explains how to update using the terminal and using the Synaptic package manager!!.

You need to tell us exactly what you do and what you see when you try to run recovery mode, let us know what steps you took because you should not have a blank screen!!.

If you only have Zorin installed, read the part of the update guide about "Booting into recovery mode", this might be the reason you are seeing a blank screen!!.

Uzi

Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:30:20 am

I have Windows XP & Zorin. When I boot I get the option screen to boot Zorin or Recovery or previous version or XP etc. Selecting Recovery just goes to a black screen & nothing else happens.

All updates have been completed successfully.

Wolfman

Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:37:44 am

Hi Uzi,

open a terminal in Zorin and paste this command:

sudo update-grub

then restart and try and get into the recovery menu just as a test.

Uzi

Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:27:33 am

Tried similar earlier & had the same issue this time too. I enter the command & it asks for my password but wont allow anything to be typed in ie the cursor blinks but I cant type

Wolfman

Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:12:03 am

Hi Uzi,

sorry my bad, I should have pointed out that when you enter your password in a terminal, nothings shows at all, it is important to type your password correctly, if you don't, it will say that the password is not valid anyway. (Press "Enter" once you have typed your password!)

Uzi

Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:42:45 am

That worked mate but sorry same result. The terminal produced a few lines with the same menu items (in recovery) as at boot up. I restarted selected recovery and..............nothing. Black screen.

On the plus side got all my settings, bookmarks etc from XP Firefox transferred to Zorin and all my emails & address book to Thunderbird. I am rapidly running out of things that I need XP for.

Wolfman

Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:20:45 am

Hi Uzi,

open the Synaptic package manager and click on: "Reload > Mark All Upgrades > Apply" and see if there is indeed anything missing!!.

Let us know what happens, I mean update-wise, look at the list should it update for packages with names like "mesa" and "xorg" in particular.

Uzi

Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:58:19 am

open the Synaptic package manager and click on: "Reload > Mark All Upgrades > Apply" and see if there is indeed anything missing!!.

Let us know what happens, I mean update-wise, look at the list should it update for packages with names like "mesa" and "xorg" in particular.

Wolfman,

Ok, did that. It identified 2 packages & on installing I noticed dpkg and references to pae as when the system boots. Tried again recovery but same result. Checked synaptic again & had a pop up window warning of duplicate packages. Tried to copy what it said but it wouldn't paste.

So far all seems to be working ok but this is a concern. Can you point me at instructions for restoring from backup? What about if I get the same issue that brought me to Zorin from XP. failing to boot?

I have most of what I used on XP set up so easily - Firefox, Thunderbird, SMPlayer for movies (and Transmission ;) ) I can even carry on playing Oolite ( the old Elite reborn) using Wine. Checked & I should be able to play my favorite game 'Sins of a Solar Empire' too. What I cant do, I will use my laptop for, so I am fully into Zorin now & dont want to start off with it running a problem.

EDIT - do I need to this http://www.zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4635&p=21887&hilit=update+manager+size#p21887

BTW - can we split this thread from the SOLVED topic into a new one on Recovery boot issues?

Cheers

Uzi.

Wolfman

Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:46:06 am

you don't need to be that techie to use the terminal!.

For the latest Nvidia drivers; open a terminal by pressing Ctrl + Alt + t and copy and paste (or type) the following commands one after the other in the terminal,Press enter after each command is put in, you should only have to provide your password once:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings

Once done, close the terminal and then restart your PC.

It is important to restart your PC in "Recovery Mode" and select "Network" (Cable Only!!) and then run "DPKG" in case there are any updates and after you have done the updates (Mesa, Xorg etc!), restart your PC with Ctrl + Alt + Del, don't click on "Resume" !!.

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2490

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

let us know how you get on.

Hi Uzi,

it would be good for you if you do downlaod and create a "Boot Repair" disk for future use and you can try it out by booting from the disk and try the repair function!!.

Before you do, take a look the the instructions for Nvidia drivers in the box above and try that too, I know that you installed the Nvidia drivers via the Additional Drivers tool but the drivers in the quote above are newer!!. this may help solve the problem.

If you want to start a new thread, please do and we can close this one but please try out the drivers thing and boot repair options first.

If you do a re-install, you can select the "Something Else" option and don't format your /home partition, that way, all your data and settings will still be there.

The fact that you got PAE packages is because you are running a 32 Bit OS on a 64 Bit system and it is nothing to worry about, in the future, opt for the 64 Bit versions of Linux, Zorin 7 will eventually be available in 64 Bit!.

See also:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

For the problem with duplicate package sources list, please take the time to read the "Update Guide", the answer is there!:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2247

Uzi

Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:16:30 am

Tried your Terminal suggestion for Nvidia and only got as far as the 3rd command as on this screen grab:

EDIT - why does the attachment not appear?? Anyway it said unable to lock - source unavailable. Unable to lock Admin Dir is another process using it.

EDIT - tried again & it worked but said I had the latest version.

Your comment about 64 bit - can I upgrade to it using your method of not losing my settings?

Wolfman

Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:01:56 am

Hi Uzi,

you got the message about another process using it because you most likley still had the Synaptic manager open and that is why you cannot install any software because two software update mechanism's are runing at the same time!!.

Yes you can install without losing your settings as long as you use the "Something Else" method when re-installing and you can install a 64 Bit system over 32 by erasing the root ("/" is the mount point for "root", a normal forward slash! ) partition only, do not select format for your home ("/home" is the mount point for your home partition) partition, please see this guide:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

Another question, when you burnt the disk; did you burn the disk at the slowest possible speed, if you didn't, you will get errors like you are getting now!!. Always burn ISO files at the slowest possible speed!!. An alternative is to use a USB stick to install the desired OS:

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

If you upload a pic, you need to select "Place inline" after you have uploaded the pic!!.

Uzi

Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:52:10 am

If you upload a pic, you need to select "Place inline" after you have uploaded the pic!!.

Hi Wolfman,

Thanks for all the time you are spending on this 8-)

I have my own website & forum & although different to this forum, I know how to add attachments. There is nothing except browse & add file. Add file does nothing. :(

Ahhh.....just checked something. You dont allow .png :o which is the default for the Screenshot app included with Zorin.

I will try the 64 bit using my 16gb USB drive.

Wolfman

Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:12:56 pm

Hi Uzi,

you didn't answer my question about the burn process!. Did you burn the disk at the slowest possible speed??.

The 64 Bit version of Zorin 7 has not been released yet, if you want long term support, go for Zorin 6!.

Uzi

Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:10:03 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:Hi Uzi, .png's are allowed if they are small enough! What I do is take a screenshot, open in Image Viewer, then save as .jpg - if the .jpg saves bigger then I post the .png - I know the hosting has changed recently so whether that is the issue. When you click on 'Add' you should see the web page refresh and then a line underneath the 'post' box should list the image - you then have to click on 'place in-line' to add it! ;)

Hi Swarfender

This is a jpg size 92.5kb

Zorin 6 wall's---1.jpg

As you can see, works fine but the png of the same size does not offer the option to add inline & fails.

Uzi.

Uzi

Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:24:33 pm

you didn't answer my question about the burn process!. Did you burn the disk at the slowest possible speed??.

The 64 Bit version of Zorin 7 has not been released yet, if you want long term support, go for Zorin 6!.

Hi Wolfman,

Sorry, I dont know what speed I burned at. I have 6.3 core running not 7, so will try the 64 bit using my 16gb flash drive.

How do you know I am using a 64 bit system? I couldn't find out because I couldn't open XP. I think I need to do a reinstall though as some annoying little bugs are starting to show up. Like for example the update manager screen when I 1st installed, didn't have the right side of the screen showing & therefore the install button. After I sorted the Nvidia issue it was there. Now it has gone off screen again. Things like Libra Office all open ok so not a screen size issue.

These are not deal breakers, still love Zorin. Just like to get things as good as I can :D

Cheers

Uzi.

Uzi

Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:34:00 am

Hi Wolfman,

I have the 64 bit ISO loaded on my USB drive by using Unetbootin. Going through the install & selecting 'Something Else' then choosing ext4 I get a pop up - 'Use As' - I guess I select Ext 4 & mount point / .....do I tick Format the partition? Does this leave /Home untouched or does that come up next? I dont want to hit Instal now & get it wrong

Cheers

Uzi

Wolfman

Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:05:27 am

Uzi wrote:Hi Wolfman,

I have the 64 bit ISO loaded on my USB drive by using Unetbootin. Going through the install & selecting 'Something Else' then choosing ext4 I get a pop up - 'Use As' - I guess I select Ext 4 & mount point / .....do I tick Format the partition? Does this leave /Home untouched or does that come up next? I dont want to hit Instal now & get it wrong

Cheers

Uzi

Hi Uzi,

select Ext4 for both root and home partitions but only select format for root and your home will remain intact. Both partitions need their respective mount points: "/" for root and "/home" for home.

Wolfman

Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:29:05 am

Btw,

your text "I noticed dpkg and references to pae" was the giveaway about you having a 64 Bit system!!. PAE shows up when you have a 32 Bit OS on a 64 Bit PC!!.

And; most burner apps will automatically select the fastest speed it finds, always drop it down to the slowest possible speed for a successful burn!!.

Uzi

Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:35:48 am

Hi Wolfman,

Thanks for the reply. So I do what I said & then it asks me afterwards for /Home. I will give it a shot later or perhaps tomorrow now.

BTW, you didn't answer my question from the post above:

How do you know I am using a 64 bit system? I couldn't find out because I couldn't open XP.

Cheers

Uzi

Wolfman

Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:43:30 am

Thanks for the reply. So I do what I said & then it asks me afterwards for /Home. I will give it a shot later or perhaps tomorrow now.

How do you know I am using a 64 bit system? I couldn't find out because I couldn't open XP.

Cheers

Uzi

Hi Uzi,

we just missed each other, read the post above your last post!!.

Uzi

Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:53:37 am

Wolfman wrote:

Cheers

Uzi

Hi Uzi,

we just missed each other, read the post above your last post!!.

Hahaha.....clever SOB huh :lol: Ok looks like all or nothing then. Reinstall from USB flash removes the burn issue & 64 bit removes the 32 bit error. Fingers crossed ;)

Have a great day

Uzi

Wolfman

Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:11:09 am

Good luck.

Regards SOB!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Uzi

Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:24:51 am

Aaaaaaaaaaaargh...................!!!!! Did what you said. Clicked / only and it didn't ask anything about /home. Installed & I lost almost everything. Lucky I did a daily backup so have not lost my Thunderbird Email but Firefox isn't there now & almost all the stuff I installed over the last few days. Screen blinking again too.

Not happy :cry:

Oh & recovery didn't work either.

Wolfman

Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:30:55 am

Hi Uzi,

when using the "Something Else" method, you still have to choose the mount points for both root and home, if you only selected root, your home is most likely still there and intact but you just can't see it because it doesn't have a mount point, before you go too far, reinstall again (yes I know I'm a pain) and select both root and home with mount points but only format root!!.

It is explained here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

See also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBCHsgry2RQ

Uzi

Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:41:35 am

when using the "Something Else" method, you still have to choose the mount points for both root and home, if you only selected root, your home is most likely still there and intact but you just can't see it because it doesn't have a mount point, before you go too far, reinstall again (yes I know I'm a pain) and select both root and home with mount points but only format root!!.

Just checking & most things appear to be there now after reinstalling the backup. For example, Thunderbird has reopened with my emails. I had to download Firefox again but it opened with all my settings. So I haven't lost them it seems :shock:

So, do I just carry on reactivating one by one or reinstall? How do I enter both / AND /home it only gave me the one option for mount point. Should I have used /boot?

Getting lost here I think

Uzi

Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:26:50 am

Guys

I am leaving it as is for now. I will revisit it tomorrow as its now 6.20 at night here.

As things stand:

Recover STILL does not work.

I STILL cannot see the right side of the 'Update' window & so no 'Install' button. I hope this will sort itself when I reinstall my Nvidia drivers.

Basically, nothing has changed except I am now on 64 bit.

Uzi.

Wolfman

Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:08:51 am

Footnote:

You are aware that to install linux you should have 3 partitions, 1 swap, 1 root and 1 home.

When you are using the something else method, if you have already created your partitions, swap should already be formatted and does not require further formatting, in the something else window, you will see all your available partitions which are normally marked something like:

>>>>>>Type>>>>Mountpoint
Sda1 = ntfs
Sda2 = swap
Sda3 = Ext4>>>>>>>/
Sda4 = Ext4>>>>>>>/home

basically; that is the sort of list you should have in the manual install (Something Else) window. You must set the file type (Ext4) and the mount points for both root and home!!. format root = Yes! so put a tick in the format option box. Format home = No!, so leave the tick out of format home box assuming you want to keep all the data on the home partition. (There is a tick on the home partition to format it, please ignore it as it is only an example pic!!.)

Uinstall11-600x414.png

See also:
http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2011/05/04/ma ... ntu-11-04/

Uzi

Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:30:49 pm

Guys,

By reinstalling the programs & Nvidia drivers again, everything is back to where it should be, including the update manager window is sized correctly. The only thing I can see at the moment still being an issue is the recovery & seeing that the Backup function works well I dont see any benefit to messing with it anymore & for now at least, leave things well alone.Thanks for your efforts

Cheers

Uzi

Wolfman

Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:34:40 pm

Ditto swarf's remarks Uzi :D :D :D

Swarf, we could argue til we are blue in the face about that one, just like this thread:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... ve-365793/

Uzi

Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:43:20 am

swarfendor437 wrote:Hi Uzi, .png's are allowed if they are small enough! What I do is take a screenshot, open in Image Viewer, then save as .jpg - if the .jpg saves bigger then I post the .png - I know the hosting has changed recently so whether that is the issue. When you click on 'Add' you should see the web page refresh and then a line underneath the 'post' box should list the image - you then have to click on 'place in-line' to add it! ;)

Swarf,

Found where the issue is. It is not with the Forum or with .png but with screenshots using 'Screenshot' tool included with Zorin. I tried it AND converted to jpeg but would not attach. I used Ctrl + PrtSc pasted to 'Impress' & saved a picture. Attachment worked fine.

Uzi

Wolfman

Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:54:25 am

Hi Uzi,

try out "Shutter", it is a very good screenshot app!!.

You can download it from the repo's or via the terminal:

sudo apt-get install shutter