This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Very loud fan

Jaromir86

Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:05:24 pm

Hello,

I'm new to Zorin OS, it's great system but I have problem with very loud fan. It works about 7-8 minutes at maximum speed, than about 2 minutes at lowest speed and so on. Is there any option to control the fan speed? Setup some middle speed? When I was using Windows my computer was quiet but now is very loud even if I do nothing on it. I'm using Asus f6Ve laptop. Thank you for your help.

Have a nice day
Jaromir

Jaromir86

Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:26:45 pm

Thank you. I've tried fixing the kernel power issue but it didn't help. It's still loud. Any other idea?

Wolfman

Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:14:20 am

Hi Jaromir,

oddly enough I noticed high activity on my laptop after installing Zorin 7 yesterday, what type of graphics card do you have??.

I found this but haven't had the time to check it out myself yet:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/294012/l ... -load-afte

Did you fully update your system?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

My system is fully up-to-date but it didn't help me so far, I have not installed any graphic card drivers yet!!.

Please let us know what graphics card you have so we can start there!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

madvinegar

Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:31:19 am

Wolfman wrote:Please let us know what graphics card you have so we can start there!!.

Exactly as WM says.
Please post the result of

lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 VGA

Jaromir86

Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:04:08 am

Thank you very much for the answers. 1) I have Zorin 6.3
2) Fully updated (I think so),
3) result: 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RV710 [Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100 Series] [1002:9553]
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:1b32]
Kernel driver in use: radeon

In additional drivers I see ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics driver, I tried to install it but it didn't resolve my problem and in addition to this all animations in the system stopped to be smooth.

So..any ideas?

Thank you
Jaromir

Wolfman

Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:12:25 am

Jaromir86 wrote:Thank you very much for the answers. 1) I have Zorin 6.3
2) Fully updated (I think so),
3) result: 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RV710 [Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100 Series] [1002:9553]
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:1b32]
Kernel driver in use: radeon

In additional drivers I see ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics driver, I tried to install it but it didn't resolve my problem and in addition to this all animations in the system stopped to be smooth.

So..any ideas?

Thank you
Jaromir

Hi Jaromir,

paste the following in a terminal and see what happens:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Also, did you install the "Recommended" ATI drivers or the one that said "Updates" ??.

Jaromir86

Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:05:25 pm

OK, so I tried "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade", everything is now updated but fan is still loud. I don't fully understand to the last sentence. I installed ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics driver which is in "Additional drivers" but animations were slower and fan still loud so I uninstalled it.

madvinegar

Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:07:59 pm

So you are now with the opensource drivers (radeon). So try this.
Open terminal and write:

Code:
sudo su
echo low >  /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_profile

You will not get any reply from the terminal if all is ok. And just to check if actually the change has happened, write in terminal

Code:
cat  /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_profile

Do you get as a reply the word "low"??

Let it be as it is for 2-3 minutes. If all has gone well you will notice that the fan will start getting more quiet.

The above is just to see if the trick works. If it works we need to do it permanent. We will however set it to "mid" (not "low") so as you will have both lower temps and adequate GPU power.

Let me know how it goes so as to tell you how to make the changes permanent. Otherwise, after restarting, the settings will return to their prior state.

P.S.: It would be very usuefull if you will install a temp sensor program to check your systems temps. You can do it via terminal easily:

Code:
sudo apt-get install lm-sensors
yes | sudo sensors-detect

The above will install "sensors". After installation is complete, to check your system temps you can just write in terminal:
Code:
sensors

Or even better, to check live your temps, give the following command in terminal:
Code:
watch -n1 sensors

Jaromir86

Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:20:32 pm

WOW! It works! It's really quiet now! How can I do it permanently?
I installed sensors too and it show the temperature 52 degree celsius. Should I close terminal now? If I try it shows "there is still a process running in this terminal...."
Thank you very much for the answer!

Jaromir86

Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:25:50 pm

Where did you learn all these codes? :)

madvinegar

Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:49:50 pm

To make it permanent and load it automatically at startup:

Open terminal and write:
Code:
sudo gedit /etc/rc.local

A file will open.
On a separate line, right above the last line which says "exit 0" copy and paste the following command:
Code:
echo mid >  /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_profile

Save, exit, reboot and check if it works.

To check it after the reboot, just write again in terminal
Code:
cat /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_profile

It should return "mid".

Just for your info, this is a trick for ATI cards when you use the opensource driver (radeon).
There are three stages in the power profile. Low, Mid, High and Auto. By default it is set to Auto but unfortunately "auto" works like "high" all the time. This is why your fan was working permanently and at all times at full power.
We set it either to low or mid.
Low gives the best temps but also the worst graphics power.
Mid is the best balanced solution for both normal temps and adequate graphics power.

Jaromir86

Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:57:40 pm

Done! Thank you very much! It works.

madvinegar

Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:12:53 pm

Glad I helped.

So now, keep in mind that you are working on opensource drivers.
To revert to the previous state just delete (or place a "#" sign in front of) the line we added in rc.local.

In case you need to play a heavy game or you are in general need of more power graphics, you may see that you need to install the proprietary catalyst ATI drivers (closed source - fglrx).
To do so, I think it was Wolfman, who posted a very nice link. http://www.noobslab.com/2013/04/install ... rs-in.html

If you don't need power graphics, leave the system as we set it with the opensource drivers, and you will be great.

Wolfman

Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:20:00 pm

Hi,

yes! MV; it was me which posted that link but you should stress that they "USE IT AT THEIR OWN RISK" as it is a 3rd party PPA!!.

I tried the "FGLRX" drivers from the repo on my ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250 but they are "c*#p", stay with the open source drivers unless you are good at managing graphic card drivers of which I'm not!!.

Good call on the script MV btw!!. I don't have any "Blue Jewels" like Swarf does so you can have 4 smiley's instead!. :D :D :D :D

madvinegar

Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:12:17 pm

Thanx WM!

Jaromir86

Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:58:13 pm

CAN I have one more question but out of the topic? I can't see no 'hibernate' option when I'm going to shutdown my laptop. How can I turn the hibernation on? Thank you.

Wolfman

Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:33:43 pm

Jaromir86

Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:21:22 pm

I tried and it didnt work properly. After sudo pm-hibernate my computer turned off and when I switched it on there were no windows from last session. So I tried once more, it was the same. I have 3,2 GB Swap partition which should be enough.

whiterabbit391

Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:36:35 am

This is what I get when I try "sudo apt-get install lm-sensors"

``````Package lm-sensors in not available but is reffered to by another package.

'''''''''''E: package " lm-sensors" has no installation candidate .

has anyone encountered this yet