This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Changed contrast settings now Zorin crashed.

Uzi

Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:39:13 am

Weird - what happened?

I went into System settings & changed the contrast settings (set at Normal) to HIGH to see the difference. Didn't like it. Tried Low & everything went strange. Couldn't see some things so returned it to Normal but some things didn't change. My Desktop icons are blank squares - Home & Trash but shortcuts are ok. So I restarted & now the 'Start' button has a sad face saying Whoops applet crashed.

Suggestions anyone?

Uzi

Wolfman

Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:17:52 am

Hi Uzi,

check out the guide, scroll about half way down, info about AWN is there!:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

Regards Wolfman :D

Uzi

Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:55:53 pm

Guys

Relaunch doesn't do anything. Followed the link instruction to click the APP Zorin Menu but now I have a bunch of grey sad faces I cant delete. I have tried deactivating & reactivating but it doesn't work. I have had to add an extra dock at the top to get the other icons to display due to sad faces along the bottom dock.

So 1st, how do I delete the extra app faces? Then how do I get it working?

Uzi

Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:55:48 pm

OK - by resetting the contrast in Universal Access to high it reactivated the Zorin Menu. I could then see the extra icons in the Dock Prefs & could deactivate them. I still cant see the icons in Normal mode for HOME & TRASH though as well as some in Systems Settings

Wolfman

Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:13:58 pm

Do you mean the icons on the desktop; or on the panel??.

Uzi

Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:34:07 pm

Wolfman wrote:Do you mean the icons on the desktop; or on the panel??.

Desktop and in the System Settings. The apps have disappeared again in the box so I cant see some to sort the order as in Zorin Menu - Separator etc. The Zorin Menu icon has gone along with others. I can only see them if I set the contrast to HIGH.

Bed time here. I will check in in the morning guys.

Cheers

Uzi.

Wolfman

Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:43:01 pm

Hi Uzi,

after mucking around with the system, did you get the Nvidia drivers installed okay and have you checked out the Nvidia settings menu to see if there is something there, I don't know what you changed so I cannot help you there.

For the panel settings; yes! you guessed it, see the guide about half way down:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054&p=8048#p8048

To put all icons on the desktop in more or less one hit:

Open > nautilus > computer (or file) > usr > share > applications (open the folder) > right click the icon you want > copy to > (new window opens) > desktop > select. Repeat op for all the icons you want!.
Select Destination_005.jpg

Uzi

Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:19:49 am

OK - back to normal with 2 clicks.

First I went back to 'UNIVERSAL ACCESS' which stared all the problems by looking at what Zorin looked like by changing the Display contrast 1st to High then to Low. Returning to Normal from Low caused all the problems.

Universal Access.jpg

Changing to High allowed me to see the missing icons and most importantly the unhappy smiley icon in place of the Zorin Menu returned by clicking it.

The other thing I looked at was the Appearance settings which instead of RADIANCE were also at HIGH.

Appearance.jpg

Changing back to Radiance and bingo all is back to as should be.

Guess who wont be clicking on that Universal Settings again :evil:

Still love Zorin though 8-)

Uzi.

Wolfman

Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:51:49 am

Good for you, will mark as solved!.