This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Graphical Bugs

m1cha3l

Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:19:48 pm

So I've been running Zorin on my Macbook Pro v5.5 and have a Nvidia GeForce 9400M graphics card, and I've encountered what I believe to be a graphical glitch that causes my system to crash. When trying to use the ALT+Tab command, everything runs really slowly, and sometimes causes my system to completely freeze up. I've tried using all the different driver under System Setting > Additional Drivers, but nothing seems to make a difference. I'm not sure if this would've made a difference, but I've also tried downloading the drivers from the Nvidia website, but the downloads only open in text editor. Since I couldn't open them anywhere other than the text editor, that route was unsuccessful. I would like to use this function, and want to see if there is a fix for this.

As a side note, the system doesn't appear to be recognizing my graphics card drivers? I found this strange when I downloaded the drivers under System Settings > Additional Drivers. When going to System Settings > Details > Graphics, it says the driver is "unknown". I've been feeling like the drivers and my graphics card aren't communicating well with this system.

Also, I would like to know how to change the Copy/Paste keyboard shortcut from Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V to Super+C and Super+V. I've tried looking everywhere in System Settings > Keyboard > Shortcuts, but there appears to be no option to change those functions. I would appreciate any help.

Wolfman

Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:21:42 pm

Hi,

take a look here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2490

Also, make sure you fully update:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Regards Wolfman :D

m1cha3l

Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:25:55 pm

Just to clarify the instructions in the first link, I'm NOT supposed to follow the instructions for Zorin 7, correct? Only the first part?

Wolfman

Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:41:30 pm

Hi,

if you have Zorin 6, they use the top part, if you have Zorin 7, the bottom.

For shortcuts, you can set your own (I assume) with: System Settings > Hardware > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Custom Shortcuts.
Keyboard_004.jpg

Don't forget to update!!.

m1cha3l

Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:55:32 pm

Ok, I did the first part in terminal and updated the Nvidia drivers, but the Alt+Tab function still freezes up the system.

I've tried creating the Custom Shortcuts for copy/paste, but they don't work. What would be the text entered into the "command" box that would enable the copy/paste function?

m1cha3l

Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:06:11 pm

I also did the full system update in terminal as well, it didn't seem to help either. Alt+Tab is still causing a crash.

Wolfman

Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:16:48 am

m1cha3l wrote:Ok, I did the first part in terminal and updated the Nvidia drivers, but the Alt+Tab function still freezes up the system.

I've tried creating the Custom Shortcuts for copy/paste, but they don't work. What would be the text entered into the "command" box that would enable the copy/paste function?

Hi,

I fear that because Ubuntu is more or less geared up to work with the Gnome 3 desktop that you won't be able to get it to work using the tool in the System Settings Menu!!.

Do you have Zorin 6 or Zorin 7???. You can use Ubuntu Tweak I believe if you have Zorin 6 but it is not working for Zorin 7.

Take a look here too as there are a few suggestions:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2078891

Did you install the graphic card drivers per the link I posted earlier??.

m1cha3l

Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:39:00 pm

I have Zorin 6, and I did install graphic driver updates as well, thanks. Would you advise I use the Gnome 3 desktop them? I don't mind using that desktop, whatever works best is fine for me!

Wolfman

Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:48:33 pm

Hi,

no I don't recommend the Gnome 3 desktop as it is a pain as far as I am concerned, they took a perfectly good desktop (Gnome 2) and made a monster out of it!!.

Okay, lets start, reboot your PC and select "Recovery Mode" and run "DPKG" per this guide:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Once done, reboot using Ctrl + Alt +Del and see if it still doesn't work correctly, if it doesn't, reboot again and select recovery mode again and this time run "FSCK" and then reboot once more and see!!.

When you installed the Nvidia drivers, did you update as required by the Nvidia whiteout thread??.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2490

Have you switched off the Animations in Compiz to see if this helps??.

I have an Nvidia card and Alt + Tab work fine on my rig!!.

Let us know what happens.

m1cha3l

Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:46:29 pm

Yes, I followed the instructions for the Nvidia whiteout and entered this in terminal;

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings

I also fully updated the system using these commands in terminal;

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

And also made the change in Compiz focus effect to "None".

I just ran the DPKG and FSCK in Recovery Mode and it didn't seem to make a difference. Alt+Tab is still freezing up the system.

I have not yet switched off animations in Compiz.

m1cha3l

Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:55:05 pm

Actually, I just tried turning off animations in compiz, and although it worked, it caused compiz to "quit unexpectedly" and prompted my to file a nvidia error report. It didn't make a difference once turned off, so I just turned animations back on.

Wolfman

Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:29:56 pm

Hi,

okay, try this, open a terminal and enter the following:

sudo apt-get install nvidia-310

The above command should tell you it is going to remove nvidia 304 and nvidia settings, let it do its thing. If it tells you that nvidia-310 is already installed, then I don't know further what to try!!. If it does start to install; it might install a large game file (Xonotic) which you can delete after download, if you have a limited bandwidth usage, don't do this as the game is nearly 1GB in size and is somehow coupled to the 310 driver!!.

(Don't install any of the higher number drivers because they are experimental and not supported!!) (You can if you want to, that is up to you!!)

Other than that, I am out of ideas apart from the one about re-installing!!.

Update after installing the package!!!!.

m1cha3l

Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:44:16 pm

Ok, I entered that command line, and it said;

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package nvidia-310

After I entered that, it didn't seem to start a download and it didn't prompt me to remove nvidia 304 and nvidia settings.

PS When you say "update after installing the package" you meant the whole system, correct?

Wolfman

Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:18:22 pm

Hi,

sorry, my bad, I have only just checked that you have Zorin 6 and not Zorin 7.

The only options from my side for you now are:

install both the Gnome and Kde base packages which will bring lots of apps you don't need but may bring the required stability. Via a terminal:

sudo apt-get install gnome kde-full

Or!!, upgrade to Zorin 7!!.

m1cha3l

Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:10:33 pm

Ok, so I decided to take your advice and upgrade to Zorin 7, but now I have a problem. I burned the .iso as a disc image, and now my computer won't boot at all, and I can't eject the disc.

When I boot the system, I'm greeted with;

No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found!
boot:

So...what now?

m1cha3l

Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:30:50 pm

By the way, I would like to thank you guys for your patience. I know it's not easy dealing with problem people like me lol. But seriously, I would like to be able to boot again :P

Wolfman

Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:21:25 am

Hi,

did you follow this advice?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

Do you still have the ISO file and can you try using a USB stick instead??.

Try Unetbootin:

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Can you see anything with the disk or is the message you posted all you can see??.

If you can see the live disk boot menu, as soon as it shows up, press the "TAB" key and type: "nomodeset" and press "Enter" and see if it boots okay!.

m1cha3l

Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:50:34 am

Ah, no I did not :S I will be sure to do that the next attempt. I'm thinking it might be better to try and use UNetbootin next time.

Whenever I boot, I do not get a live boot disk boot menu, or any other menu. All I can see is the message;

No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found!
boot:

And I can't get past that point, nor eject the disc that has the iso burned onto it. I'm pretty stuck :(

Wolfman

Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:57:56 am

Hi,

do you have a Windows disk?, you can repair the MBR with that and boot into Windows and redo the disk. (If you don't have a Windows disk, borrow one from a friend etc as you only need it for a few mins!!)

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/20 ... ecord.html

Or there is "Boot Repair":

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

Just select the section "MBR Options":
mbr repaair.png

Let us know if this helps.

Wolfman

Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:13:53 am

I forgot to add, to remove a "stuck disk", if the PC is powered up and not doing anything, hold the power button in (at least 4 seconds which is known as "Soft Power Off") untill it switches off, don't just press power off or you will damage the hard drive/PC.

Switch the PC back on and quickly press the eject button on the disk drive and hopefully it will pop out. If it doesn't, switch off by pressing power again, restart and quickly press the "Pause" button to stop the PC from advancing further, you should be able to get the disk out then.

If all the above fail, you might have to use a USB stick install to get past the point where the disk drive is no longer an option for the PC and will be ignored, if you manage to boot a USB live version of Linux, make sure you remember to eject the disk from the drive.

m1cha3l

Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:23:12 am

OK! Actually, I managed to get the disk out by spamming the eject button (which I had done before, but this time it decided to work). From there I was able to boot into Zorin 6 successfully! How weird, the disk was causing the system to do that...

Anyways, I'm going to reattempt to install Zorin 7 using UNetbootin. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

m1cha3l

Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:32:10 am

Just to clarify; Since I have a macbook pro 5.5, can I use UNetbootin?

This statement confuses me from that link you provided about UNetbootin;

"Microsoft Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7, or Linux, or Mac OS X 10.5+. Note that resulting USB drives are bootable only on PCs (not on Macs)"

Would this work for my mac? Sorry, I'm a bit confused :S

Wolfman

Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:04:41 am

Wolfman

Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:15:11 pm

m1cha3l wrote:Just to clarify; Since I have a macbook pro 5.5, can I use UNetbootin?

This statement confuses me from that link you provided about UNetbootin;

"Microsoft Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7, or Linux, or Mac OS X 10.5+. Note that resulting USB drives are bootable only on PCs (not on Macs)"

Would this work for my mac? Sorry, I'm a bit confused :S

Sorry, I overlooked the word "Mac".