This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Is it possible to keep zorin 7 after the support ends?

panosdk

Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:21:54 am

So i tried zorin os 7 in my netbook and i love it.Its by far the best linux distro that i tried.I want to keep it as my main os.But the problem is that its not LTS.What happens when support ends? Is it 9 months like ubuntu? I dont care about security updates but i want to be able to install new software. I also dont want to install zorin os 6.I hope that the next LTS version of zorin wont be to heavy for my netbook.

madvinegar

Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:48:00 am

Check the 1st reply of this thread.
http://askubuntu.com/questions/101479/a ... of-support

Wolfman

Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:49:18 am

Hi,

yes it is but I don't advise it as you will be left open to attack due to the lack of security updates!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

Auldyin

Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:00:15 am

Hi
I'm quiet happily still using using Zorin 5.2 , even though all support has ended, I still get some software updates, this week I've had updates for Google Chrome and Multisystem. For new software it's D.I.Y. from websites.

Cheers Auldyin

panosdk

Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:59:09 pm

Thank you all for the replies

Wolfman

Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:49:47 am

Auldyin wrote:Hi
I'm quiet happily still using using Zorin 5.2 , even though all support has ended, I still get some software updates, this week I've had updates for Google Chrome and Multisystem. For new software it's D.I.Y. from websites.

Cheers Auldyin

Hi Auldyin,

the only problem there is that you won't get any security updates, the individual apps will most likely continue to update for several months/years after support has ended but what about the system security??.

Rgerads Wolfman :D

Pierre

Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:28:19 am

There is no real reason, that you can't keep using a O/S for years, after it's support ends.
- particularly if it's a 'nix O/S.

it's still far more secure than a unsupported M$ O/S is .. ..
& as long as your favorite app is still going / updating - why not.

- it's your call, - as to whether you NEED to update to a newer O/S.