This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Brightness adjuster won't work / Zorin 7 / Macbook Pro 5.5

m1cha3l

Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:02:09 pm

So I recently installed Zorin 7 on my Macbook Pro 5.5 in place of Zorin 6 and it's working BEAUTIFULLY! Except, my brightness adjuster isn't working. I went to software and updates > additional drivers > Using NVIDIA Binary Xorg Driver / NVIDIA-310 > Apply Changes > Restarted system.

I tried going into /etc/X11/xorg.conf in terminal.

But it said the file didn't exist. Some help would be awesome, I would love to get my brightness adjuster working :) Thanks!

m1cha3l

Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:34:57 pm

Hmm, didn't seem to work. Isn't there a similar file I could modify in terminal that works the same way as this;

http://askubuntu.com/questions/126441/b ... -12-04-lts

Wolfman

Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:48:03 am

Hi,

please read this for Nvidia drivers:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2490

For brightness control: System Settings > Personal > Brightness & Lock

There should also be buttons on your keyboard like "FN + F7" or something similar!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

m1cha3l

Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:26:51 am

I went to system settings to adjust the brightness, and I can move the bar for "brightness" back and forth, but it doesn't make any change.

When I use the brightness adjusting buttons on my keyboard, it shows a small window in the upper right hand corner that should be indicating that the brightness is changing, but it doesn't.

I tried using the Nvidia whiteout/blackout problem fix, but that didn't work. Whenever I entered this into terminal;

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings

It changed my driver to nvidia-304, when it was nvidia-310. I don't think that's something I wanted, since the higher the number (304, 310) is the more recent the driver, correct? It didn't seem to make a difference anyways.

Wolfman

Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:12:39 am

Hi,

open a terminal and paste the following:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install nvidia-310

It will replace the drivers to the higher number.

Did you update fully after replacing the drivers??.

Once you have replaced the drivers and restarted, paste the following in a terminal:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Then restart again and let us know if there is any improvement!!.

You might also consider changing your software sources download location which may help, see the "Changing your software sources download location" section in the guide:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

m1cha3l

Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:04:06 am

Ok, I followed those step and entered both commands in terminal, but it didn't make a difference. Brightness still isn't adjusting.

m1cha3l

Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:07:36 am

When I had Zorin 6, this solution worked;

If you want the nvidia driver, type in the terminal sudo apt-get install nvidia-current. After installing the driver, you'll need to enable brightness controls in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

In /etc/X11/xorg.conf you should put:

Section "Device"
Identifier "NVIDIA GeForce"
Driver "nvidia"
Option "NoLogo" "True"
Option "RegistryDwords" "EnableBrightnessControl=1"
EndSection

But, I don't believe I can do this in Zorin 7 because I don't think the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file exists. Could I do something similar where I could find a file to modify "EnableBrightnessControl-1"?

Wolfman

Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:05:15 pm

Hi,

I found this:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/297210/b ... acbook-6-1

(I hope it works for your Macbook!)

I will be gone now until tomorrow!.