This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Drivers for Asus Ati Radeon DK EAH4870/DTI/521MD5 on Zorin 7

danieltudosiu

Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:45:36 pm

Hello,

I am new to the realm of linux and zorin, and I really want to know how to install the aditional drivers or the normal drivers for my old video card on Zorin 7.

I've read that I must use and older version of kernel and Xsrv for the legacy drivers provided by AMD.

If you know any tricks that might help me, I am really grateful to you.\

Good day,

Daniel

Anonymous

Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:52:59 pm

I was given this link earlier today, in turn you can give it a try !!!

Link : http://www.noobslab.com/2013/04/install ... rs-in.html

danieltudosiu

Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:22:53 pm

I've done what instruction said in the first method but the program Ubuntu AMD Catalyst Install doesn't want to open.

I've tried the second method, it went all got until the last commands when i received :

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package fglrx-installer

What advice can u give me ?

Anonymous

Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:34:32 pm

Daniel keep checking in for Wolfman > Madvinegar > Swarfendor will be back on the forum sooner or later and they can try to help you with the configuration. I'm not that hot when it comes to configuration > ATI Radeon Grapgics Cards.

danieltudosiu

Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:37:17 pm

Thank you very much for you help Datek1 .
I will leave them a PM and a link to this topic.

Have a good night ( or day :)) )

Wolfman

Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:41:42 pm

Hi daniel,

open Synaptic package manager and type "fglrx" in search, this will install the ATI drivers.

Restart your PC and update immediately, if you have problems with your graphics card, open Synaptic again and remove the "fglrx" package by right clicking it and marking for complete removal.

If you cannot boot into a normal graphical environment, restart your PC in "recovery mode" and select the option "root" in the recovery menu, this will drop you to the root shell where you need to type in the following:

sudo apt-get remove fglrx

Once the drivers have been removed, restart your PC using Ctrl + Alt + Del, do not click on "Resume" !!!!!.

Hope it helps.

Regards Wolfman :D

danieltudosiu

Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:21:00 am

I've tried to do what u said but there were some problems.

For example :

1) Over the dock it was a black space that didn't display the background and everything jumped over it

2) If I wanted to move a window in needed to move it and pres on it so the move could be executed ( it didn't work normally ( drag and drop ))

3) I couldn't enter the about my computer section.

Can u give me another method ?

Thx you .

Wolfman

Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:27:05 am

Hi,

boot into recovery mode and select "Network" (cable connection only) from the menu, once the network is running, select root and type the following command:

Code:
sudo apt-get install fglrx

Once this is done, restart your PC with Ctrl + Alt + Del (Do not click on resume!) and go back into recovery mode and select network again and once that is done; select "dpkg" and say "Y" if and when asked, restart with Ctrl + Alt + Del again and let it start normally.

Let us know if this helps.

danieltudosiu

Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:29:36 am

How to I enter in recovery mode XD .

Sorry but i am new to Linux.

Wolfman

Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:43:36 am

danieltudosiu wrote:How to I enter in recovery mode XD .

Sorry but i am new to Linux.

Hi,

please read the update guide, it is explained there:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

danieltudosiu

Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:52:57 am

I've done what u suggested me to do in recovery mode but it is the same ..... :(( god doesn't want me to have my drivers installed XD

While I was in Synaptec I saw that are more packeges with fglrx that are related to AMD .... maybe I need to instal more of them ( I am a newbie, I am just trying to help XD )

If you have time and if you want you can have a look in my pc .....

I also saw that the drivers that u suggested me to install are beta versions .... may be this is the problem .

And not to forget.... Alt+Tab is not working anymore :((

Wolfman

Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:19:21 am

Hi Daniel,

if you have a fairly old ATI graphics card on your PC, you are really better of with the opensource drivers that came pre-installed, I have an ATI Mob Radeon 4250HD card and it works better without the ATI drivers believe me!!.

Boot your PC and open Synaptic and search for "fglrx" and mark it for complete removal with a right mouse click and then restart your PC.

Once you have restarted your PC, paste these commands into a terminal:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

It is very important to have your PC up-to-date so please take a look here too:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

See how well your PC runs without the ATI drivers, try installing Google Earth and see if it runs, if it does, you don't need the drivers!!.

Let us know what happens.

There are some very useful tips here btw including stuff about ATI drivers, but like I said, stick with the opensource drivers!!.:

http://debianhelp.wordpress.com/2012/11 ... -pangolin/

danieltudosiu

Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:40:37 am

Yea :)) I removed the drivers from ATI and it's ok :) .

Thank you very much >:D< .

I will treat you with a beer if we meat in real life :)) ;)

danieltudosiu

Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:00:17 am

Wolfman :) can u please help me one more time :) ?

I don't know why but I can't switch anymore between applications using the command Alt+Tab.

I tried to rebind it to a new combo but it didn't work .

What do u suggest ?

Thank you very much ,

Daniel

Wolfman

Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:15:20 pm

Hi Daniel,

open System Settings > Hardware > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Navigation > Switch Applications and reassign the same keys again!!.

Keyboard_001.jpg

danieltudosiu

Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:56:37 pm

I've tried and is not working :((

Wolfman

Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:17:03 pm

danieltudosiu wrote:I've tried and is not working :((

You must push both buttons at the same time!!. (Press "Alt" and hold it down; then press "the "Tab" key!)

danieltudosiu

Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:42:33 am

I k that wolfman :)) but it doesn't work after i key bind .....

Wolfman

Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:13:23 am

Hi Daniel,

you are clicking so you see the words "New Accelerator" aren't you??:
Keyboard_006.jpg

Once those words are showing, press the keys you want!!.