This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] compiz does not restart

messana

Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:43:52 am

Hello everyone, I use habitually zorin LTS. This morning I turned off compiz compiz configuration manager from popping composite and opengl. When I attempted to reactivate the effects in compiz does not work, could you help me?, Thank you. ;-)
Beautiful distribution I use on my 4 pc at home and the company social club where I work I installed it on 5 pc.
Sorry for the bad English .. I thank the translator of google. ;-)

Wolfman

Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:51:48 am

Hi,

after making the changes to Compiz; did you log out/log in or restart your PC?. I don't really have an answer for you as I don't ever use it!!.

Have you fully updated your system?, this might help solve the problem!. do you have the graphics card drivers installed via the Additonal Drivers Tool in the System Settings menu?.

If you update fully, this may solve your problem:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Let us know what happens.

Regards Wolfman :D

jojothehobo

Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:42:50 pm

I have had the same problem after an update. In my case it was a kernel update that did me in. What happens now is that Zorin boots to a newer kernel. In that kernel the screen is cut off by about a centimeter at the bottom and top and the screen minimize/maximize and close buttons are gone. Compiz crashes all the time.
Any advice on how to make compiz work again, or an alternative would be appreciated.

I used to get a boot screen that gave me a choice on which kernel to boot to. I use Zorin 6.0 because it is an LTS release. That uses a 3.2.xx kernel. I would like to get back to booting into that kernel. I will try to remove the later kernels using Synaptic, although the most recent kernel has a lot of other stuff that gets removed.

Any advice on whether I can remove all the kernels after 3.2.xx, or whether I should do so, would also be appreciated.

Thanks to all.
Jojo

Wolfman

Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:07:01 am

Hi,

before you attempt to remove Compiz, I would boot into "Recovery Mode" and activate "Network" first and then run "DPKG" using a Network Cable only, this may or may not sort out the situation!!.

jojothehobo

Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:03:18 pm

Thanks Swarfendorf437 and Wolfman. I'll try your suggestions in the next day or so and get back with the results.

Jojo

Wolfman

Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:57:35 am

Just for info, check out the update guide:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

jojothehobo

Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:52:33 pm

Hi Wolfman and Swarfendorf437. Thanks for you help. I enjoyed reading the reference to repairing/fixing broken files. I got Compiz starting up and working again. I used the principle of least disturbance first. Thus I went to Synaptic and removed all kernels after 3.2.xx. There were about eight of them. I also checked reinstall on 3 files relating to hardware profiles and some other category that had 3.2.49 and hoped that would prevent post-removal problems. I then checked apply and Synaptic told me around 1.6 Gb would be freed up. I gulped and hoped for the best.
What happened after is that I got back to booting from kernel 3.2.49 and Compiz worked again. Hooray!]

I still have some earlier kernels, like 3.2.25 etc. Does anyone know if it is safe to remove them? My concern is that removing them may remove some files that the later kernel depends on.

I also plan to not update the kernel anymore. Is there a setting I can make to ensure that? Otherwise I'll remove them from updates by hand.

Thanks to all again. My Zorin ship is afloat and steaming right along again.

all the best
Jojo

Wolfman

Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:49:16 am

Hi,

there really is no reason not to accept the newer kernels as they also bring security updates with them, you can do as Swarf suggested but I would accept them and only blacklist them if they cause a problem!!.

Have you installed the graphics card drivers for your system??.

I have marked this as solved!!.

jojothehobo

Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:46:44 pm

Thanks Swarfendor437 and Wolfman. Timely and complete as usual. I will take the adivice. My kernel is ok and working ok. It is a Long Term Release, which is what I prefer over cutting edge stuff. If it ain't broke don't fix it, as I've heard.

I agree with Wolfman about the security updates, which is why I kept the kernel updates earlier. The latest updates actually booted up directly and didn't give the option of choosing an earlier kernel at bootup. When it did boot into the newer kernel I got the Compiz and display problems as discussed earlier. Booting from an earlier kernel keeps the system running well and stably.

I will check the video drivers. I thought they might update automatically, but since they aren't part of the distro then probably not. I could probably look for a PPA but it isn't worth the trouble at this time. Unchecking is OK. Thanks again. I too consider this thread solved.

Jojo

jojothehobo

Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:08:40 pm

Swarfendor437. Thanks again for all the help. FWIW, I installed ultimateeditionoz on my last computer and liked it a lot. It is a good piece of work. That machine got trashed by my granddaughter, and then I switched to Zorin. Zorin is a good distro and I've found the support particularly helpful.

jojothehobo

Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:09:01 pm

Hi Swarfendor437. You are correct, it was Ultimate Edition. I was described in a review as Ubuntu on steroids, and indeed it was. No need to spend hours setting up a desktop or installing needed drivers because they weren't included in the Ubuntu distro. I'll check them out again if I get another machine I can set up for Linux.
j>

jojothehobo

Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:00:56 pm

Will do, Swarfendor437. I agree that we got off topic here. Still, I enjoyed the exchanges and appreciate all your help.
Jojo