This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Zorin 7 Lock out - Will not accept Pw to unlock HDD

alpha1

Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:16:51 pm

Hi Guys

I must say this is a very good install of an OS no inital issues.

Just installed Zorin 7 No Problem
However - upon starting to use the OS and updating it a few issues are prevalent.

1. After install of the OS it failed to reboot correctly and did not shut down. Had to Manually turned off system.
2. Following an update of the system - System dos not reboot after update.
3. The Encryption PW is not being accepted at log in. Several attempts to reinstall the OS .
4. Evolution mail keeps crashing - basic install.
5. I have also tried to restore my date in evolution. ok and some files from my old system but this too may seem to be an issue stoping me from accessing the the system once rebooted.

It seem that there may be an issue with the update
Can you help here please.

Wolfman

Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:07:53 pm

Hi,

to reset your PW, see this:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword

For problems with updating, see the part about running "dpkg" here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Did you burn the ISO to disk; at the slowest possible speed?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

(If you did a USB install, ignore the above link!)

Let us know how you get on.

Regards Wolfman :D

alpha1

Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:17:56 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:Hi alpha1, you said you 'encrypted' your password. Did you mean you attempted to encrypt your 'home' folder during install? Bad idea! Never use 'encrypt personal data' during installation - it causes issues! (and no, I don't know why, it just does!)

Thanks for the reply swarfendor437
Please accept my apologies if i was not clear.
When i set up zorin 7 I elected to encrypt HDD and also the Home folder.
OK. point taken - I will reinstall without encrypting home folder and see how things go.
Thanks.

alpha1

Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:21:56 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

to reset your PW, see this:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword

For problems with updating, see the part about running "dpkg" here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Did you burn the ISO to disk; at the slowest possible speed?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

(If you did a USB install, ignore the above link!)

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks for your reply Wolfman.
I have noted my error sorry. I will now proceed to resolve the pw issue.

In regards to the ISO yes it was burned at the slow speed.
In regards to the update the system updates ok - it only dos not restart the system correctly.
Thanks for the advice.

Wolfman

Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:17:08 am

Hi Alpha1,

re: your remark "In regards to the update the system updates ok - it only dos not restart the system correctly.", you do know that you must manually restart don't you??. Or do you mean something else??.

alpha1

Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:14:08 am

Wolfman wrote:Hi Alpha1,

re: your remark "In regards to the update the system updates ok - it only dos not restart the system correctly.", you do know that you must manually restart don't you??. Or do you mean something else??.

Thanks for the reply.
Yes i understand i need to restart the system - but when you do press the restart button the system trys to restart runs what i believe to be part of the course
But dos not actually restart the system i have to intervene and press the restart button on the machine at this stage.

What i was expecting is that when the option of restart is selected the system will re boot itself - and not hang waiting for a manual restart. Am i Wrong in this expectation?

alpha1

Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:16:12 am

alpha1 wrote:
swarfendor437 wrote:Hi alpha1, you said you 'encrypted' your password. Did you mean you attempted to encrypt your 'home' folder during install? Bad idea! Never use 'encrypt personal data' during installation - it causes issues! (and no, I don't know why, it just does!)

Thanks for the reply swarfendor437
Please accept my apologies if i was not clear.
When i set up zorin 7 I elected to encrypt HDD and also the Home folder.
OK. point taken - I will reinstall without encrypting home folder and see how things go.
Thanks.

Just an update
Hi swarfendor437 great news - your suggestion was correct i now have access to the system no further issue regarding access.
Many thanks

Wolfman

Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:24:04 am

hi,

I hope you are not pressing the power button quickly to restart your PC, if you do, you will crash the hard drive in a matter of mins/hours/days!!. Or are you talking about clicking on the "Restart Button" from the shutdown menu??.

If your PC won't restart and hangs at a certain point, do the following:

Press Ctrl + Alt + Backspace to get out of a graphical DE, and/or Ctrl + Alt +F2 then Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart.

If you want to switch of the PC from the root console, type "poweroff" (if it complains about privileges then
Code:
sudo poweroff

If you must use the power button to shut down your PC, always hold it in for about 4 - 5 seconds until it switches off, don't release the button until it has done so. If you press the button too quickly, as I said before, it will crash your drive very quickly!!.

alpha1

Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:57:30 pm

Wolfman wrote:hi,

I hope you are not pressing the power button quickly to restart your PC, if you do, you will crash the hard drive in a matter of mins/hours/days!!. Or are you talking about clicking on the "Restart Button" from the shutdown menu??.

If your PC won't restart and hangs at a certain point, do the following:

Press Ctrl + Alt + Backspace to get out of a graphical DE, and/or Ctrl + Alt +F2 then Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart.

If you want to switch of the PC from the root console, type "poweroff" (if it complains about privileges then
Code:
sudo poweroff

If you must use the power button to shut down your PC, always hold it in for about 4 - 5 seconds until it switches off, don't release the button until it has done so. If you press the button too quickly, as I said before, it will crash your drive very quickly!!.

Thanks for the reply Wolfman.
I do not press my reset button lightly - Only after waiting 10Min. which i feel is reasonable
But now that the issue of PW access has been addressed i have not had any further issues in this regard
However i am grateful for the information provided much appreciate.

Many Thanks